VP, Head of Statistical Sciences
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
A strategic, dynamic, and empowered leader, the VP, Statistical Sciences oversees all Statistical Sciences functions across R&D. In addition, this leader is responsible for the methodological and quantitative scientific contributions of the organization while simultaneously driving operational excellence. A highly visible and collaborative role, the Head of Statistical Sciences partners across R&D to generate evidence in support of AbbVie products.
- Provide leadership and vision to the global Statistical Sciences organization including staff at 6 sites worldwide (~180 FTE) and associated organizational design and budgetary responsibility
- Responsible for leading/driving scientific statistical methodological expertise to impact the AbbVie portfolio by application of both best in class and novel statistical approaches as part of unified Development strategies. This includes oversight of quantitiative methods deployed across the portfolio with an eye towards efficiency and innovation. Set policy on AbbVie preferred statistical practices.
- Serve as subject matter expert and owner for key biometrics processes and associated operating model(s) related to Statistical Sciences SOPs, work instructions, process maps, training and software/tools. Develop new processes and operating models along with appropriate documentation and change management.
- Own statistical support for one of the broadest industry portfolios spanning 2 AbbVie R&D organizations and including aesthetics, early/late oncology, immunology, neuroscience, general medicine, infectious disease, eye care, phase 1 HV.
- Oversee key Statistical Sciences touchpoints through dedicated functions partnered with Global Medical Affairs, Discovery/Exploratory/Genomics, non-clinical/manufacturing/quality, Patient Safety, and Precision Medicine.
- Leadership and Integration of acquired companies to include synergy realization, harmonization of technology/process, and simultaneous/temporary maintenance of multiple/diverse company operating models during transition.
- Serve as a key Leader on the Data and Statistical Sciences Senior Leadership Team to help set and drive vision and execution with respect to data operations, statistics, and statistical reporting/analytics.
- Represent AbbVie externally, demonstrating scientific leadership and collaborating in industry, academic and regulatory forums as appropriate.
- PhD in statistics or equivalent experience in biometrics leadership. At least 15+ years of experience in the pharmaceutical or biotechnology field
- Outstanding communication is a non-negotiable. This includes clarity in writing including excellence in scientific/technical/process writing, influential speech and negotiation, ability to explain complex concepts to others, willingness and ability to engage in scientific discourse at the executive level.
- Demonstrated experience developing and leading high performing teams.
- Expert in statistical methodology including best practices and new industry trends. Agile learner and change agent.
- Functional knowledge of machine learning/AI and Big Data.
- Executive presence and high degree of emotional intelligence.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.