Medical Director, Eye Care - Glaucoma
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Envision working with energetic colleagues and inspirational leaders. Now, place yourself in that mix; leading discussions, asking the right questions and driving results.
What Your New Manager Wants You To Know
The Medical Director, Eye Care is a Glaucoma expert, managing a team dedicated to our portfolio of products (Durysta TM , XEN®, Alphagan®, Combigan® and Lumigan®. Provides specialist medical/scientific strategic and operational input into core medical affairs activities such as: health-care professional/provider interactions; generation of clinical and scientific data (enhancing therapeutic benefit and value); educational initiatives (medical education, data, guidelines and value proposition); safeguarding patient safety. Works closely with sales, marketing and commercial teams to provide strategic medical input into core brand strategies, and to support medical/marketing activities and market access. Provide scientific and technical support for assigned products; deliver scientific presentations; develops and maintains professional and credible relationships with, key opinion leaders; actively participate in relevant Brand Teams and helps develop medical affairs strategies for assigned products; develop innovative research concepts for clinical data generation; provide relevant scientific and technical training.
YOU ARE more than just a title, YOU ARE...
A strategic thinker : align and excite internal stakeholders to facilitate success through strong leadership, strategic thinking and personal drive.
First class team player : collaborate across multiple disciplines to ensure compliance and ability to influence cross-functional teams and senior leadership.
- Initiate medical affairs activities and generate and disseminate data supporting overall product scientific and business strategy.
- Participate in design and execution of clinical trial safety, product safety and risk management plans. May also carry responsibility for routine and adhoc safety monitoring reports to regulatory agencies. May review, assess and report applicable Adverse Events (AE's) and Serious Adverse Events (SAE's) if assigned to AbbVie conduct on clinical studies.
- Oversee the conducting of clinical trials and will be medically and scientifically accountable for resolution of safety (AE's & SAE's) issues, interpretation of statistical analyses for clinical significance, PI selection, scientific documents reporting safety monitoring and other scientific reports submitted to the regulatory authorities.
- Be responsible for all clinical research / development activities for products under development, and for post approval commitments such as regulatory agency mandated trials, or those intended to support product registration or to generate data for label inclusion remain the primary responsibility of TA development teams.
- Interact with and coordinates appropriate scientific and medical activities with internal stakeholders (i.e. commercial, clinical operations, discovery, statistics, regulatory, etc...) as it relates to on-going medical affairs projects. Serves as the scientific team interface for key regulatory discussions.
- Provide scientific/medical education to investigators, clinical monitors, and Global Project Team members related to therapeutic area or disease specific information. Keeps abreast of professional information and technology through conferences and/or medical literature and acts as a therapeutic area resource.
- Be responsible for understanding the regulatory requirements related to the clinical studies and global drug development and accountable for complying with those requirements. May assist in the development of scientifically accurate marketing materials, medical education programs, advisories, and symposia. Assists with the scientific review, development, approval, execution and communication of affiliate/area/global medical affairs sponsored or supported clinical research activities.
- Ensure budgets, timelines and compliance requirements are factored into programs' scientific activities.
- Address complex problems within discipline/project or across disciplines. Exercise judgment within generally defined practices and policies in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions. Work on problems of diverse scope in which analysis and interpretation of data requires evaluation of multiple factors.
- Provide guidance to cross-functional team members to aid in the development of promotional materials. Provide timely and accurate reviews of promotional strategies and tactics in accordance with established policies and practice standards, including regulatory guidelines to meet customer needs .
- Medical Doctorate (M.D.) degree or equivalent (D.O. or non-US equivalent of M.D. meet requirements) with relevant therapeutic specialty in an academic or hospital environment. Completion of residency and/or fellowship is preferred.
- National license to practice medicine with relevant therapeutic specialty in an academic or hospital environment. Academic qualification (Dr med or equal) is strongly preferred. Completion of residency and/or fellowship is preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years of clinical trial or medical affairs experience in the pharmaceutical industry or academia or equivalent. 3+ years of experience is preferred.
- Proven leadership skills in a cross-functional global team environment. Ability to interact externally and internally to support global business strategy. Ability to run a clinical study or medical affairs team independently with little supervision.
- Knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory requirements governing clinical trials and experience in development strategy and the design of protocols. Expert knowledge in a relevant therapeutic specialty.
- Must possess excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Ability to influence in a matrixed environment. Works mostly independently with limited guidance.
In this role, we're looking for a leader who will:
- Act as an Owner
- Be Excellence Focused
- Act as an Influencer
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.