Director, Federal Government Affairs
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
This position represents AbbVie's interests before the U.S. Congress and the Executive Branch. This includes designing and executing comprehensive advocacy strategies to deliver on AbbVie priorities across a range of policies impacting the company and our ability to continue and grow significant investments in areas of critical unmet medical need. The Director will identify legislative and regulatory opportunities, analyze their impact, and develop and lead strategies to advocate for and achieve results.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Proactively evaluate the legislative and regulatory environment for potential impact on AbbVie and the patients we serve. Stay apprised of business goals and strategies in order to identify opportunities and assess impact to AbbVie from federal legislative, executive and regulatory activities. Consult with appropriate business and corporate personnel in making such determinations, providing recommendations for formulation of an action plan.
- Provide recommendations on legislative, executive, and regulatory activities important to AbbVie, develop and successfully implement strategies in consultation with relevant business personnel, and when appropriate, in coordination with external coalitions and trade associations.
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with Members of Congress, their staff, and the Administration. Identify and implement appropriate strategies with third parties and coalitions to advocate for AbbVie's legislative priorities.
- Drive policy development at trade associations that is aligned with AbbVie's legislative priorities. Enhance management and business unit understanding of and participation in the federal policymaking process.
- Collaborate with business units on critical issues, leveraging senior leadership and internal experts to advance AbbVie positions. Gain appropriate cross-functional and business input into federal policy and legislative advocacy positions.
- Actively participate in formulation and implementation of plan for AbbVie PAC.
Position Accountability / Scope:
- The position will be responsible for advocating before Members of Congress and senior Administration officials as well as working with senior AbbVie executives in designing and implementing legislative strategies on key issues impacting AbbVie.
- The incumbent must be able to act independently and demonstrate sound business judgment within the scope of broad guidelines.
- Bachelor's Degree: B.A. / B.S. required
- Advanced Degree: J.D., M.A., M.B.A. preferred.
This position requires an individual who has:
- Excellent written and oral communications skills; write concisely and communicate complex information in a clear manner.
- Strong analytical skills to dissect the complex range of policy issues and assess their impact on AbbVie.
- Demonstrated success working in teams.
- A high degree of strategic thinking, decision-making and tactical skills to develop broad strategy and policy options and recommendations to address issues.
- At least five years of experience working with Congress and/or the Administration.
- Significant Congressional and/or Administration relationships to help AbbVie enhance policy and its engagement with policymakers.
- The ability to master complex policy and legislative issues, think creatively and develop innovative strategies and solutions.
- The ability to create and implement comprehensive GA strategies including lobbying, association engagement, third-party advocacy.
- Deep knowledge of the U.S. health care system and issues impacting the pharmaceutical industry. In particular, knowledge of public health programs including Medicare and Medicaid, access and reimbursement issues and therapeutic areas including immunology and oncology is preferred. Existing knowledge or willingness to learn additional policy areas including intellectual property (IP) and tax also preferred.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.