Manager, Global Congresses
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Business Services is a part of the Enterprise Strategies group that provides business support services across AbbVie in order to drive efficiencies, business outcomes and ensure compliance. Business Services plans and executes internal and external meetings and congresses for employees, HCPs and Patients ensuring business outcomes in addition to meeting all regulatory and financial compliance requirements.
The Manager, Global Congresses is responsible for managing a direct staff of Congress Account Managers (CAMs) as well as potentially individually planning global congresses. The position is responsible for supporting all Global and US Integrated congresses and ancillary meetings. The team supports all functions within AbbVie including Commercial, R&D, Operations and Corporate functions. The Manager leads and develops their teams while simultaneously providing direct reports with the appropriate direction required to navigate the organization and successfully plan and project manage all assigned congresses/ meetings (internal & HCP). The Manger also gives direction and oversees the financial, compliance and reconciliation aspects of every event.
- Oversight of the planning and execution of all assigned Congresses.
- Participates in the creation of annual BSG/M&E strategic plans. Works closely with cross functional partners to understand emerging the business needs
- Demonstrates and utilizes holistic understanding of exhibit planning process including financial, compliance and close out responsibilities
- Identifies strategic and operational business improvements and innovations to enable efficient and effective delivery of organizational strategies.
- Directs and manages projects including execution of initiatives and tasks aimed at improving or simplifying the planning process while also improving the skill sets of direct staff.
- Responsible to assign work and review workload to ensure staff levels align with departmental capacity. Continually assesses organizational change impact on staffing and resources needed to support the business.
- Works with BSG leaders to develop communication plans, message and tactics supporting BSG and AbbVie stakeholders.
- Influences business leaders and effectively collaborates cross-functionally to deliver business results.
- Manages a portfolio of projects that are related to process improvements overseeing timelines and deliverables. Identifies and implements projects that improve the congress experience or allows Abbvie to execute more cost effectively.
- Partners with BSG Program Compliance and CCG Managers to ensure alignment across organizations on processes used by both functions related to meeting budgets, purchasing, compliance and reconciliation.
- Works with OEC and other Compliance Committees across AbbVie supporting their compliance needs associated with the overall congress, ancillary meetings and HCP engagements.
- Responsible to oversee congress expenses and ensure that all expenses align with AbbVie's financial policy and procedures, compliance, and financial and purchasing policies.
- Manage cross-functional relationships within Business Services Group and other functions including Program Compliance, Office of Ethics and Compliance (OEC), Finance, Purchasing, Travel and Third Party Vendors
- Develops, maintains and communicates knowledge within organization of Global and local requirements associated with congresses. Works closely with Program Compliance and Affiliates to ensure Global programs executed within the country are compliant.
- Develops and maintains relationships with third party vendors in the meetings/congress industry. Stays abreast of industry trends and continuously assesses opportunities for Abbvie.
- Tactical oversight and management of congress-related tasks including, but not limited to:
- Work with brand teams to determine strategy for congress
- Liaise with Congress organization
- Budget and reconciliation, relative to the congress
- Association management
- Liaise with TPV, housing authority and other associated vendors
- Act as advisor and project manager for the brand teams, Global Medical Affairs, etc.
- Overall project management of congress
- Produce post show reports for program and cost review
- Review event bills for accuracy, and approve payment
- Required to maintain and update program data in meeting and event technology system of record and Convention calendar information
- Previous Management experience required. Demonstrated ability to lead a team and develop staff.
- Bachelor's degree and 7+ years of congress planning experience, preferably in healthcare, pharmaceutical or other highly regulated industry
- Must Possess excellent strategic thinking, analytical, planning and organization, leadership and communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively both in writing and orally to stakeholders and to senior leaders.
- Previous experience utilizing technology to enhance and improve processes including deployment across multiple countries.
- Ability to multi-task and oversee several operations at one time, face many deadlines and coordinate activities of different groups of individuals.
- Extremely organized and proactive with the ability to collaborate in a fast-paced team environment
- Must be able to negotiate with facilities, suppliers and vendors
- Financial literacy with quantitative skills
- Ability to travel as the global convention schedule demands and continue to work on multiple projects despite operating from remote locations
- Candidates for this position must be willing and anticipate long workdays during shows. Work hours may be long and irregular, especially in the time leading up to a show
- Travel : domestic and international and as approved by manager
- Familiarity with PHRMA, CFR, Sunshine Act and global pharmaceutical requirements a plus
- Senior Leadership in US Commercial, GMCO and R&D.
- Finance organizations for all headquarter business units
- Office of Ethics and Compliance and BTS
- Additional stakeholders include Third party logistics vendors, DMCs, Hotels, AV companies, etc.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.