Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
The successful candidate will be expected to work as part of a team that is focused on the process development for vaccine development from preclinical through Phase III, and commercialization. The main responsibilities will include the design, execution, and documentation of experiments to develop phase-appropriate upstream processes (bioreactor, transfection, infection, microfiltration, filtration) for clinical supply production, and further optimize/scale up these processes to enable transfer of robust processes to the commercial space
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop and optimize the cell culture parameters (for various cell lines) and nutrient requirement in flasks and disposable bioreactors (10L, 50L and 200L) for mammalian cell growth and virus-like particle (VLP) or virus production.
- Perform mammalian cell cultures in T-flasks, shake flasks, CellSTACKs, rockers and bioreactors. Prepare media and monitor cell density, viability etc.
- Develop and optimize virus-like particle transient transfection or viral infection process to maximize the product yield.
- Develop and optimize the microfiltration process to concentrate cells if necessary.
- Develop and optimize the depth filtration/clarification steps for product harvest.
- Use DOE software to design the experiment, analyze the results for improving product yield.
- Write development and technical reports, draft SOPs and batch records to support tech transfer and clinical materials production.
Minimum Education, Experience and Skills
- BS degree with over 5 years or MS degree with over 3 three years' industrial experiences or Ph.D degree with 0-2 years' industrial experiences are required
- Degree in chemistry, biochemistry, pharmaceutical sciences, chemical engineering or a related field
- Minimum of 3 years direct experience in the mammalian cell culture area.
- Good aseptic technique is a must.
- Mammalian cell culture experience with various suspension and adherent cells such as HEK293, Vero cells is required.
- Prior experiences with transient transfection and viral infection are preferred.
- Design of Experiment (DoE) experience is necessary.
- Bioreactor (small scale and large scale) experience is preferred.
- Experience with depth filtration and ultrafiltration/dialfiltration is plus.
- Engineering knowledge/hands on experience with equipment troubleshooting is preferred.
- Must have good data analysis skills.
- Must be a team player and quick learner.
- cGMP experience is preferred.
- Good writing and communication skills
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions' approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions' approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.