Scientist / Engineer, Cell Culture Process Development Req# 2054
Encoded Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company advancing precision medicines for a broad range of genetic disorders. Our mission is to unlock new opportunities for viral gene therapy through genomics-driven discovery. We focus on delivering life-changing advances for individuals with genetic disorders not addressable with current approaches. For more information, please visit www.Encoded.com.
We are recruiting a Process Development Scientist or Engineer to assist in building improved process technologies for rAAV expression. This is a rare opportunity to enter an emerging field, in a company committed to developing first-rate platform capabilities. By enhancing our ability to manufacture rAAV vectors, our work will directly contribute to enabling gene therapies in broader and more challenging indications. The successful candidate will work across multiple projects, and should expect a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Develop bioreactor-based cell culture processes for manufacturing of AAV gene therapy vectors across multiple preclinical programs and disease areas
- Execute PD experiments in shaken cultures and stirred-tank bioreactors from 2L-250L scale
- Develop long-term PD strategy in collaboration with PD leadership, and Encoded’s CTO
- Investigate new and alternative process technologies
- Develop improved cell culture media and feed solutions
- Optimize existing processes for improved consistency, performance, and product quality
- Serve as SME for scaleup and process transfer to CMO for GMP manufacturing; including scaledown experiments, authorship, and review of technical documents
- Serve as SME for activities related to Process Characterization, including CQA risk assessment, DoE designs for optimization and CPP determination
- Plan and prepare for reliable execution of experiments, including maintenance of inoculum cultures, ensuring availability of reagents, and preparation of equipment.
- Contribute to expanding capabilities of Upstream PD lab, including identifying new equipment, external vendors, and/or improved workflows.
- Coordinate research activities with colleagues across Encoded, including Downstream PD, Analytical Development, Research groups, and Technology team.
- May direct, manage, and/or hire Process Development Associates and Sr. PD Associates as the group expands
- Industry experience designing and operating stirred-tank bioreactor experiments for mammalian cell culture is required.
- MS/PhD related to bioprocessing, biochemical engineering, or gene therapy. Exceptional BS candidates may be considered with 8+ years of experience in a PD or MSAT setting, and demonstrated scientific proficiencies.
- Experience designing perfusion processes and/or development of medium and feed solutions is highly desired. Experience with single-use bioreactors, AAV expression, large-scale transfection, and/or baculovirus TGE are desirable, but not needed.
- Prior exposure to large-scale GMP manufacturing is desired, either by direct experience, or from working in a PD or MSAT setting. Experience serving as PIP is a plus, as is other direct engagement with manufacturing groups.
- Ability to conceptualize and design experiments based on general guidance and stated research objectives. Will execute experiments, interpret data, and present results.
- Detailed understanding of bioreactor control systems and relevant engineering concepts (PID control, kLa, etc.), and demonstrated ability to apply this knowledge toward process transfer, scaleup/scaledown, or troubleshooting.
- Mathematical ability to perform routine lab operations and data analysis, including skill with MS Excel. Knowledge of DoE and JMP or DesignExpert is desired, as is experience with relevant database and visualization tools.
- Enthusiasm for collaborative work in a dynamic environment, plus individual accountability in areas of responsibility
- Strong verbal and written skills are required, as well as effective interpersonal, technical, and troubleshooting skills
- Comprehensive benefits package, including competitive employer premium contributions
- Meaningful stock option grants
- PTO, sick time and holiday pay
- Generous Parental Leave program
- Pre-tax medical and dependent care programs
- STD, LTD, Life and AD&D
- Professional development opportunities
- Team-building events
- Fully stocked kitchen
Encoded is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Encoded is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Encoded are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion or belief, color, national origin, gender, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location in which we operate. Encoded will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Encoded encourages applicants of all ages.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 650-491-0272.