Software Instrumentation Engineer
We are looking to assemble a team of best-in-class, innovative and passionate people. We want to gather their talents and skills to achieve one goal: unlock the power of "DNA-write". We offer the opportunity of joining a dynamic, international and highly skilled team in a pioneering startup. Our Next-Hour DNA Synthesis platforms not only have the potential to change the way the world makes and uses synthetic DNA, but also to accelerate the rate of discovery by delivering upon the promise of same-day results.
DNA Script is actively searching for a Software Instrumentation Engineer to champion software development and software/system integration efforts for complex mechatronic systems.
The individual will lead internal software functional development along with contributing in all stages of product development from prototype integration and optimization through commercialization.
This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company and to have a large impact on developing a technology that will have far-reaching impact across biological sciences.
The position will be US based, in the South San Francisco, California office.
- Develop and integrate instrument control software from the prototype phase through release to manufacturing.
- Develop software using C/C++ for use in life science laboratory automation and DNA Synthesis platforms and systems.
- Participate in SW architecture development and risk mitigation activities, code reviews, system bring-up, integration, test, debug and verification activities
- Work with other disciplines (EE, ME, SW) to define requirements, design, test, and debug embedded systems.
- Interface with and collaborate with internal and external development partners, accelerating product development
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve software.
- Manage individual project priorities, deadlines and deliverables.
- Produce professional documentation and presentations.
- A Bachelor's in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or relevant technical field.
- 2-3 years of relevant work experience.
- Development experience within embedded systems/firmware design for automation systems.
- Strong experience coding in C/C++.
- Strong experience developing test methods based on Python
- Ability to read electrical schematics and datasheets and to collaborate in design input and reviews.
- Technical leadership skills, with the ability to lead small projects and/or in-discipline teams.
- Experience in Biotechnology area is a significant plus
- Experience in development of control software for laboratory automation systems is a significant plus
Ideal Candidate will have
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux environments and kernel development.
- Knowledge of State Machines
- Knowledge of one or more of the following: Microcontrollers, device drivers, hardware bring-up, performance optimization, file systems, boot-loading, firmware.
- Great with Python: In-depth knowledge of threading model, data structures, experience creating Python bindings in C and C++, and experience with regular expressions.
- Use of source code management (SCM) tools (preferably GIT).
- The highest level of personal honesty, integrity and commitment; unquestionably walks the talk so others want to follow.
- Job located in South San Francisco
- Start date: Q3 2020