Regional Director, Eye Care - North Region
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
The Region Director, Eye Care Specialty leads the sales performance and professional development of a team of District Managers within an assigned geographical area responsible for field execution to meet or exceed assigned sales objectives consistent with the approved operating plan. This role is directly responsible for leading the sales performance and professional development of a team that are focused on promotion of 4-5 specialty brands to expand usage in a highly competitive environment.
The Region Director, in partnership with District Managers and other colleagues, leads field sales execution designed to expand adoption with targeted eye care accounts through effective execution of sales strategies designed to expand appropriate usage with targeted eye care accounts through effective targeting, influencing, and expansion of use for designated specialty ophthalmic products. The field sales team delivers technical product information, consultative selling and comprehensive fulfillment and account management to support customer understanding and expand utilization.
The position is responsible for hiring, developing, leading, and motivating a highly technical specialty field sales force; including identifying and developing talent to maintain a high-quality talent pool for current and future organizational needs.
The Region Director proactively ensures that all aspects of employee-related issues are managed appropriately; including ensuring appropriate policy, procedures and reporting systems are applied in a manner that delivers consistent, compliant execution across the sales organization.
The Region Director develops and maintains strong working relationships with external customers and internal partners. These include but are not limited to other Allergan sales teams and leaders, Customer Service (Austin), RBAs, MSLs, Key Account Managers, Regional Account Managers, and marketing.
- 6-8 District Managers
- The District Sales Managers directly supervise 8-10 Eye Care Sales Representatives
- Sales across 4-5 specialty brands (specialty pharma, OTC, cash pay)
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: % of Time or Importance
Sales Performance / Financial Results
Consistently attains or exceeds assigned sales goals for designated products in terms of units and sales dollars consistent with the approved operating plan. Additionally, the successful management of the appropriate expense budgets, including CORE budget and associated promotional budgets is required to meet all fiscal responsibilities.
Establishes challenging goals and sets high standards in a compliant manner to ensure DMs and Specialty Reps meet their respective quotas. Sets priorities and drives effective allocation and utilization of Allergan resources to maximize sales.
Coaches and leads District Managers so that representatives meet or exceed their individual territory quotas.
Aligning Performance Execution
Maintains adherence to all Allergan policies (e.g. Code of Conduct, Healthcare Law Compliance, Expense Policies, etc.)
Effectively aligns and communicates sales strategy across the region and the nation. Leads the execution of sales strategies designed to expand product adoption with targeted eye care accounts through effective delivery of technical product information, consultative selling and comprehensive fulfillment and account management. Drives consistent field execution across the breadth of the region by setting and communicating clear expectations, measuring performance and adjusting as necessary.
Identifies trends, opportunities and issues to implement action plans to improve results. Scales best practices across the region and nation. Understands market dynamics, reimbursement trends and key business drivers; and demonstrates organizational perspective necessary to build effective partnerships with all key functions.
Talent and Team Development
Hires, develops and retains organizational talent through recruiting, skill development, succession planning, individual development plans (IDPs) and performance management. Fosters a positive organizational and regional culture and establishes a team identity with a focus on high performance expectations and accountability.
Proactively identifies talent and implements appropriate development plans to maintain a high- quality talent pool for performance in current roles and in anticipating succession planning needs. Ensure consistent, ongoing sales skill coaching, account management and career development at all levels.
Customer Focus / Account Development
Proactively identifies, initiates and pursues opportunities to create both internal and external relationships to favorably position Allergan and the Eye Care business. Acts as the key point of contact to strengthen customer relationships and/or address customer issues.
Identifies and develops relationships with key KOLs, VIPs and influencers within the eye care community. Actively communicates and appropriately collaborates across senior leadership, marketing, sales, and other key partners to best position and advance Allergan business objectives.
Maintains a deep understanding of the healthcare system, the Commercial/Medicare/Medicaid formulary benefit environment, fulfillment of a prescription, associated reimbursement dynamics and the daily workings of a physician practice to support broad product adoption and usage.
Influential Leadership and Development
Consistently makes a leadership contribution at the region level and beyond. Leads and contributes to projects that add value to the organization, the success of others, and advance Allergan Eye Care objectives.
Acts with integrity, is a positive role model, valuable team member and positive influence on the Eye Care team. Builds understanding and advocacy across the broader organization. Collaborates and develops strong working relationships with external customers and internal partners to ensure that all appropriate Allergan resources are being utilized to address customer needs and improve sales performance.
Creates and implements a program of professional and personal development to promote growth and experiences.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or higher required
- Broad knowledge of the Healthcare, Medical Device and Pharmaceutical Industries
- 5 or more years of successful sales management experience, preferably industry and pharmaceutically related
- Experience and knowledge with/in:
- Formulating and establishing systems and process for an evolving/new sales organization
- General sales/marketing principles and concepts within the healthcare environment
- Inner working of a physician practice and health care delivery system
- Key account development
- Deep understanding of prescription fulfillment
- Developing successful customer business plans
- Compensation plan design and administration, manpower planning, and sales force deployment
- Successful launch experience preferred
- Valid driver's license
- Ideal candidate lives in the geography, preferably New York, New Jersey or Philadelphia
Essential Skills, Experience, and Competencies (includes Licenses, Credentials)
- Proven successful sales and leadership experience over a 5-year time frame
- Excellent verbal/written communication skills, including podium skills.
- Ability to:
- Build, lead, and develop a high-performance team.
- Set high standards and provide constructive feedback and coaching to motivate improved performance
- Manage and prioritize workload, multi-task and manage a diverse mix of issues, responsibilities and challenges
- Communicate/present/train technical and clinical information to diverse audiences.
- Manage budgets, expenses and execute plans across a large field-based sales team
- Strong "team player" mentality and a successful history in working as an individual contributor within a collaborative team.
- Strong interpersonal skills to establish strong customer and partner relationships.
- Proven sales leadership experience in a healthcare, medical device or specialty pharmaceutical environment and understanding of reimbursement challenges and opportunities
- Complete account management experience to ensure new therapy adoption success and expansion of existing treatments
- Strong planning and organizational skills. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple priorities and partnerships
- Ability to analyze business, create and execute a business plan.
- Strong problem resolution skills and general business acumen
- Ability to maintain effectiveness and positive outlook during changes in work tasks, structure or environment
- Exhibits a high degree of flexibility in adapting to a rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to positively inspire and lead others and peers
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.