Continuous Improvement Manager
Continuous Improvement Manager
Pacific Biosciences of California, Inc (NASDAQ: PACB) is helping scientists forge a better understanding of biology by providing a unique long-read sequencing technology that generates more complete and accurate data, giving them more insights. Our sequencing systems allow scientists to characterize genomes, transcriptomes, and epigenomes from any organism. Scientists use our technology in areas such as human biomedical research, plant and animal sciences, and microbiology and infectious disease studies. Become part of the new paradigm in long-read sequencing and help shape the future of genomic study by joining the PacBio team.
The CI/Practical Process Improvement (PPI) Manager will work across the organization including line and staff positions in order to develop and deploy Process Improvement and Lean Enterprise elements at our Menlo Park site. Areas of focus will include; the identification and elimination of waste, driving a sustainable internal process for productivity improvement, embedding a quality mind-set throughout the value chains and to helping to improve the organization’s ability around problem solving and decision making (leveraging various lean and PPI tools such as the 8-Step method).
What will you do?
- Challenge leaders and cultivate an action-biased culture of continuous improvement and accountability to improve critical metrics, in the areas of quality, customer, people and finance
- Take a structured approach to optimize site footprint utilization, grow capacity, reduce costs and sensibly increase levels of strategic outsourcing
- Provide mentorship and coaching to various levels of site leadership to develop Lean expertise over time, ultimately moving to self-sufficiency.
- Simplify and improve the decision-making model and problem solving accountabilities and capabilities to drive autonomy (and to drive this process deeper into the organization)
- Work closely with business leadership and PPI/Lean steering committees to identify ways to accelerate change
- Identify standard methodologies within the company, and at our critical supplier sites, serve as a conduit for best-practice sharing.
- May periodically be assigned specific projects, which align with the strategic plan and company/functional objectives
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
How will you get here?
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, operations, or business, or related, required; MBA degree preferred
- 10+ years of proven experience implementing successful PPI/Lean elements such as: A3 Thinking/Strategy Deployment, Lean Leadership (Daily Management, Leader Standard Work, and Gemba Walks), Value-stream mapping, Kaizens, Waste elimination, project management
- Experience with 3P (Production Preparation Process) preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to influence senior leadership, along with all levels of the organization
- Able to drive critical thinking and continuous improvement in non-operational areas, including connecting the cross-functional resources to remove waste/grow along the extended value streams.
- Broad knowledge of multi-functional, global organizational processes and financial business methods (SIOP, Customer Connections, Strategic Sourcing, etc.)
- Proven track record for developing, training, and mentoring employee teams in a continuous improvement environment
- Previous experience as a production line supervisor/manager would be a valued asset
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.