Director/Senior Director, InVivo Pharmacology, #2082
Encoded Therapeutics Inc. is a biotechnology company advancing precision medicines for a broad range of genetic disorders. We are combining the precision of gene regulation with the versatility of gene therapies to create breakthrough treatments. Our mission is to unlock new opportunities for viral gene therapy through genomics-driven discovery. We focus on delivering life-changing advances for individuals with genetic disorders not addressable with current approaches.
This position will lead a small team of dedicated in vivo researchers supporting the advancement of a variety of projects within the area of monogenic neurological diseases. The Director/Senior Director will work in a collaborative drug discovery environment to bring forward novel gene therapies and will oversee, design and execute in vivo experiments in translational disease models, including transgenic mouse lines, to test efficacy and mechanism of action of novel gene therapy candidates. Key objectives include establishing novel in vivo translational phenotypic assays, demonstrating proof-of-concept data, enabling candidate selection, and delivering data for clinical dose determination.
- Establish pharmacology strategy in alignment with departmental pipeline objectives and gene therapy precedents
- Bring forward innovative ideas, novel translational animal models and advanced technologies to support team goals. Identify opportunities and develop ideas to enhance and accelerate business processes.
- Oversee internal in vivo operations, including the development of SOPS and membership in the IACUC
- Responsible for career development of team of diverse scientists, contribute to talent strategy and provide mentorship
- Contribute to nonclinical component of regulatory submissions; communicate nonclinical pharmacology findings to cross-functional teams with a balanced and clear point of view; prepare for and participate in regulatory agency interactions
- Cultivate cross-functional relationships with project teams, translational medicine, biomarker teams, and disease-specific working groups to deliver novel targets, biomarkers and drug candidates
- Achieve pipeline goals by managing resource allocation and oversight of progress across a diverse set of early research programs
- Present scientific accomplishments internally and externally to the scientific community and discuss with key opinion leaders
- Support experimental work in the lab if needed
- Ph.D. degree in physiology, pharmacology, animal science, neurobiology, or related discipline with at least 10 years of drug discovery/development experience in biotech/pharma, and at least 4 years in a group leadership role
- Personal characteristics of integrity, teamwork, and commitment to excellence
- Background in gene therapy or neurological disorders strongly preferred
- Proven record in discovery and development of novel therapeutic entities including progression and screening of novel drug candidates and mechanistic studies in preclinical disease models
- Experience in the development and validation of novel translational disease models
- Peer reviewed publication record in relevant fields, including participation in preparation of manuscripts patents, pharmacology reports and program reviews
- Team leadership and people management experience
- Experience in contributing to a disease area strategy creation, development and execution in a Pharma/Biotech setting
- Comprehensive benefits package, including competitive employer premium contributions
- Meaningful stock option grants
- PTO, sick time and holiday pay
- Generous Parental Leave program
- Pre-tax medical and dependent care programs
- STD, LTD, Life and AD&D
- Professional development opportunities
- Team-building events
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Purple Tie dry cleaning service
- Fitness center
Encoded is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. Encoded is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at Encoded are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, religion or belief, color, national origin, gender, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the location in which we operate. Encoded will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. Encoded encourages applicants of all ages.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may call us at +1 650-491-0272.