Associate Director, Data Science
We are a leading mRNA therapeutics company developing a new class of potentially transformative medicines to treat diseases caused by protein or gene dysfunction. Using our proprietary mRNA therapeutic platform (MRTTM), we create mRNA that encodes functional proteins. Our mRNA is delivered to the target cell where the cell’s own machinery recognizes it and translates it, restoring or augmenting protein function to treat or prevent disease.
Translate Bio is seeking a highly motivated and innovative bioinformatician to lead our data science team. The successful candidate will report to the head of biology and will be responsible for providing strategic vision and execution around data workflows, data management and data analysis. This will include statistical analysis and modeling for screening optimization; use of omics data for target selection and biomarker identification; and additional analytical opportunities that will add robustness to internal research.
- Provide expertise towards establishing new practices and methods for effective analytics to help drive program and platform development for mRNA therapies
- Recognize opportunities to expand analytical capabilities, provide creative vision and articulate why and how to get there
- Serve as independent contributor with high technical proficiency
- Opportunity to build and manage data science team based on demonstrated need
- Work with bench scientists to apply statistical approach for improving experimental design and interpretation of results
- Build digital workflows and dashboards that help to capture and visualize data across the organization
- Resourcefully utilize publicly available data to seek answers and gain insights
- Work with IT and external consultants on infrastructure and admin needs
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology or similar with 8+ years industry experience or bachelor’s/master’s degree with 12+ years of experience.
- Strong experience in drug discovery with demonstrated understanding and vision of how bioinformatics and data science can best be applied in a small-to-medium sized biotech setting to accelerate progress. Familiarity with mRNA or oligonucleotide therapeutics and/or lipid nanoparticles preferred.
- Robust working knowledge and application of statistical data analysis and modeling, data wrangling and data visualization
- Experience with genetics, gene expression profiling, and sequence-based bioinformatics including homology and sequence alignment, RNA-seq DGE, and GWAS. Experience with cheminformatics, protein engineering or ribosome profiling highly preferred.
- Familiarity with computer vision, automated image analysis, neural networks, web-scraping and text mining preferred
- Resourceful and agile, able to find and communicate solutions to challenging problems under tight timelines
Translate Bio is committed to equal employment opportunity. All applicants must have authorization to work in the U.S.