Ready to join a team committed to developing and commercializing gene therapies for patients and families devastated by rare neurological genetic diseases? Since 2013, Novartis Gene Therapies (formerly AveXis) has had one focus: bringing change to those devastated by genetic diseases.
The Novartis Gene Therapies culture embraces this mission. As a compassionate and dedicated team, we are enthusiastic about the science behind our work and finding answers to difficult questions. We are dedicated to communities affected by rare diseases, and these patients and families are the motivation for everything we do.
We have built a team with exceptional depth of experience, unified by a common vision; to develop gene therapies with the potential to positively impact the lives of the patients and families devastated by rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Though we are proud of what we have achieved to date, we remain relentlessly focused on making that vision a reality.
Novartis Gene Therapies is seeking two highly motivated summer interns to join the growing, dynamic multidisciplinary Analytical Development department. The person will contribute to the development and optimization of phase-appropriate molecular biology assays for the lot release, stability testing and characterization of drug substance/drug product by reporting to lead scientist in AD-MolBio assay group. In addition, he/she will participate in exploratory studies driving the evaluation of state-of-the-art new technology platforms, and innovative upgrades for existing assay platforms. Responsibilities
- Executes experimental plans, analyzes data, and contributes to technical reports and summaries with guidance
- Works on problems of moderate scope where analysis of data requires an evaluation of various factors
- Interacts with other internal departments (i.e., Quality, Operations, Bioinformatics/Biometrics) in the development of new ddPCR / NGS based assays for characterization of gene therapy drug products
- Complies with all company safety, training, and quality regulations (e.g. GLP/GMP requirements, etc.) and procedures
- Performs duties with guidance from manager
- May be required to perform other related duties as required and/or assigned
Candidate must be able to work independently with direction, as well as in collaborative teams. Interns must also be able to carry out standard operating procedures involving basic laboratory techniques, calculations, materials measurement, operation of laboratory equipment and record keeping. Interns can be responsible for testing data records, notebooks and computerized data storage. Additionally Interns are asked to make detailed observations and analyze data to ensure we are operating within expected parameters
- Student currently enrolled in classes leading to an accredited Bachelor/Master/PhD's degree in a related engineering, science or life science discipline
- Preferred majors: Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Biology, Biotechnology, Biomedical Engineering or other related major
- Requires a functional knowledge of laboratory equipment and techniques such as automatic DNA extraction platform, PCR, NGS, ddPCR, qPCR, Bioanalyzer.
- Willingness to learn, be mentored, and improve
- Excellent written and oral communications skills are required.
- Accuracy and attention to detail is required in performing all functions of this position.
- Initiative, organizational and computer skills such as Python, R or Perl are extremely valuable
- Desire to teach other engineers and scientist about technology in area of expertise
- Previous industrial experience is preferred
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.