Scientist II, Protein Biomarker
Our mission at Progenity is simple: to help healthcare providers and patients prepare for life. We provide the most advanced molecular technology and the highest levels of service to guide patient care at critical life stages. We continually seek people with the motivation and skills to advance our mission.
The Scientist II, Protein Biomarker is responsible for conducting experiments aimed at developing immunoassay and protein-based products for women’s health, oncology, NASH, and immunology. Activities include developing and carrying out well planned and controlled experiments. Data analysis activities are also practiced according to approved organizational standards. Experimentation will be aimed at implementation and optimization of technologies and completing the development and verification/validation of new Laboratory Developed Tests (LDTs) and In-Vitro-Diagnostic (IVD) tests.
- Responsible for, with increasing accountability for, creation and review of experimental designs, protocols, engineering designs, plans, procedures, product/process documents, and reports to achieve business objectives.
- Independently executes defined protocols, procedures, and data analysis plans.
- Summarizes, analyzes, and conveys complex information clearly and adjust communication to the audience.
- Conducts experiments that are comprehensive in nature with results that can have a large departmental impact on one or more projects.
- Trains/mentors new/entry level associates in the unit of work or technical subjects.
- Leads by example in following all policies, procedures as required and proactively identifies and remedies problems.
- Leads/facilitates technical discussions and decision making within discipline/department as well as cross functionally.
- Drives process improvement ideation, implementation, and sustainment within department. May also be involved in driving broader scale improvement initiatives.
- Influences interpretation of internal policies and procedures to ensure quality and compliance.
- Accountable for decisions within unit of work.
- Uses sound judgment and thinks through impacts of situations and options.
- Identifies opportunities, offers solutions, and participates in execution for product and process improvements within the function and department.
- Looks beyond the obvious symptoms to uncover root cause issues and prioritizes problems for solutions based on highest impact.
- Communicates effectively across functions and external partners.
- Works collaboratively across the business.
- Motivates and engages team mates by asking for input and listening to other ideas.
- Technical lead within unit of work.
- BS, MS, or Ph.D. degree in life science field with a biochemistry, chemistry, or clinical chemistry focus. Ph.D. is preferred and other exceptional candidates will be considered.
- Ph.D. with 3-5 years of industry experience or MS with 5+ years of industry experience.
- Extensive Laboratory-based experimentation.
- Strong publication record.
- Previous industrial experience preferred.
- Extensive experience in one or more of our technology platforms (immunoassays, ELISA, LC/MS, multiplexed assays, point of care technologies, protein chemistry, bioinformatics, etc.) required.
- Clear written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize effectively.
- Industry knowledge or demonstrated technical capability applicable to unit of work.
- Extensive product knowledge or technical expertise in proteins and immunoassays.
- An advanced degree with demonstrated active learning skills may replace extensive product knowledge.
- Knowledge in at least one or several of the following disciplines: immunoassay development, protein purification, antibody development, antibody manufacturing, binding kinetics, and biochemistry.
- Experience in design, development, optimization, and troubleshooting of immunoassays and other protein-based technologies.
- Developed as a subject matter expert in a defined discipline.
- Regular use of outside sources of ideas and information (scientific literature, patents, regulatory body websites, industry best practice) to keep current in area of expertise.
- May be accountable for lab work or unit of work carried out by other Associates.
- Has in-depth understanding of risk management concepts and is capable of assessing product, process, project, and schedule risks across unit of work.
- Has awareness of industry standards and regulations and how they relate to internal policies and procedures.
- Able to remove simple or moderately complex road blocks within unit of work.
- Has ability to influence tactical decisions within their department and across functions within product line.