Molecular Technologist - Genetics
Our mission at Avero is simple: to help healthcare providers and patients prepare for life. We provide the most advanced molecular technology and the highest levels of service to guide patient care at critical life stages. We continually seek people with the motivation and skills to advance our mission.
The Molecular Technologist performs molecular diagnostic assays within the molecular department. Minimal supervision needed or required.
- Performs molecular diagnostic assays; as trained and assigned.
- Participates in appropriate research and development endeavors related to molecular diagnostics, including participation in funded trials.
- Participates in Laboratory QA/QC monitoring duties for Molecular Diagnostics as assigned.
- Ensures that proper personnel are notified to prevent results of tests examinations from being reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning in the event of non-conformance's,
- Maintains competency and participating in proficiency testing as appropriate.
- Maintains lab cleanliness, maintaining inventory, washing lab ware.
- Assists in training of employees as needed.
- Adheres to QC and maintenance procedures established in the department.
- Utilizes recommended QC material for testing.
- Performs and records all QC established by department.
- Performs function checks, calibration and maintenance of equipment as required and trouble shoots instrumentation.
- Implements new QC procedures in compliance with implementation of new testing.
- Makes corrective changes of existing QC.
- Reports non-complying QC.
- Assists in the maintenance of department stock and supply levels by being aware of reagents and consumables used and notifying Supervisor when stocks are low.
- Assists in maintaining department in a clean and orderly manner.
- Anticipates and maintains department supply needs.
- Adheres to all safety regulations and insures departmental compliance.
- Prepares reports for signout. Signout of cases not requiring pathologist interpretations (eg.HPV and CT/GC) as specifically trained and assigned.
- Understands the overall department specific database.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities, as deemed necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in a laboratory science (biological science, chemistry, or physics).
- MB(ASCP) certification preferred.
- No experience required.
- Preferably one or more years in a clinical laboratory.
- Computer skills.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on reason and facts with freedom from error.
- Conscientious and Self-motivating - Ability to be a productive and valuable team member.
- Maintains personal hygiene and good grooming habits.
- Demonstrates a high level of ethics, adhering to laboratory professional standards of conduct.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with an emphasis on courteous, professional and interpersonal relations. This includes but is not limited to proper telephone etiquette and accurate dissemination of information.
- Ability to maintain a high level of integrity and discretion regarding patient and other confidential information.
- Must have people-related skills, positive attitude and a spirit of cooperation.
- Ability to work in a busy and stressful work environment and perform multiple tasks.
- Must be a team player and be supportive of the overall effort of the business.
- Works overtime, weekend, and holiday if necessary to fulfill duties.
- Acts in accordance with established procedures and good judgment in the event of an emergency or disaster.