Flavor & Aroma Scientist
Flavor & Fragrance Scientist
About Central Coast Agriculture:
Headquartered north of Santa Barbara in the heart of the Santa Ynez Valley, CCA is a company focused on utilizing science and sustainability to grow quality, modern crops. Our unmatched commitment to innovating both organic farming and modern manufacturing means our customers have access to products that exceed expectations.
We breed, grow, and cultivate the highest quality cannabis so we can then process, manufacture, and package the highest quality single-source products on the market under our brand, Raw Garden.
We are a team of change makers, modern farmers, scientists, and business professionals focused on leading the charge for agricultural innovation.
We are on a mission to be the most trusted and loved brand in Cannabis.
About The Role:
- This Scientist role will be the technical expert in flavor and aroma chemistry and science for the R&D team. The role will include Research activities to better understand chemical components responsible for the sensory experience of aromas and flavors in Cannabis plant materials, in-process materials, and finished products. This role will also translate the research into recommendations and implement processes with many cross-functional teams including Analytical Chemistry, Breeding, Process & Product Development.
What You'll Do
- The qualified candidate will develop methods for evaluating aroma and flavor profiles in raw materials, in-process materials, and finished products. These methods will directly correlate to consumer experience with our products. Analytical Chemistry paired with consumer and taste panels may be employed.
- Employ these methods to evaluate materials to assure the integrity and quality of processes and product development to deliver to our consumer the highest quality products that meet their highly refined flavor/ and aroma expectations.
- Develop a sensory training program for CCA and conduct routine sensory training of CCA staff to ensure that all panelists are properly qualified. Perform periodic review of the training program to ensure it is responsive to shifting product categories and flavor/aroma families.
- Assist in troubleshooting and resolving issues with any finished product sensory concerns - including initiating and monitoring corrective actions.
- Learn and understand processes throughout R&D and Production to better assist with troubleshooting, determining root cause, and improving work processes.
- Collaborate with Plant Breeding to evaluate varieties and develop unique aroma and flavor profiles.
- Develop brand sensory profiles, maintain panelist sensory threshold records, maintain panelist comparative analysis to ensure concordance with key tasters.
- Prioritize work in a fast-paced environment to limit downtime and keep operations moving
- Proficient in Good Lab Practices, keeping a clean and safe laboratory
- This Scientist will work with the highest attention to detail and data integrity. The qualified candidate will be highly collaborative and have excellent interpersonal skills
· Maintain professionalism and live CCA’s core values at all times
· Perform all other duties as assigned or inherent to the position
What You'll Need to Have
· Position Requirements:
- Advanced Degree (M.S./Ph.D.) in Sensory Science, Chemistry, Food Science, or related discipline required.
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in the Flavors & Fragrances industry
- Working knowledge of product sensory programs relative to raw materials, ingredients, products and processes.
- Strong analytical skills. Demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy.
- Knowledge of good laboratory practices, including sample prep, handling and record keeping.
- Experience managing and performing Sensory analysis and panels.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and prioritize work while multitasking.
- Demonstrate motivation and a good work ethic under minimal supervision.
- Must work effectively in team environments.
- Statistical process control skills and use of statistical analysis software required.
- Able to work independently and “roll up your sleeves” to make things happen.
- High intensity team player who thrives in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Constantly questioning the way things are done in a constructive manner and thrives on change that improves results.
- Open (no agendas), honest and trustworthy.
- Effective leadership and strategic influencing skills.
- Results oriented individual with a desire to manage change through to fruition.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at one time.
· Expert user of Microsoft Office and/or Google’s G suite
· Functional knowledge of California cannabis regulations
· Must be 21 years of age (or older) at the time of hire
· Proficiency of the English language, verbal and written format