Sr. Director, IT BRM - R&D
As a critical member of the Information Technology team, the Senior Director, IT Business Partner serves as a strategic business partner and primary IT liaison for Research & Development.
The Senior Director will partner with R&D leaders to understand business strategy, outcomes and KPIs. The successful candidate will develop business strategy driven roadmaps including the people, process, information and technology implications. Pioneer, develop and execute the technology advances that further enable transformation of the R&D processes and continued empowerment of the R&D teams.
The individual will be a key partner to the newly appointed Chief Medical Officer and her direct reports and also partner with the business unit R&D heads.
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Life Sciences Expertise - Leverage business experience (R&D) and best practices; establish and promote a vision for how effective IT and scientific informatics can benefit and enable the successful delivery of the drug pipeline and add competitive advantage:
- Be a thought leader and facilitate the implementation and running of technologies within clinical systems, medical affairs and pharmacovigilance. This includes: LIMS, Trial Master Files, Clinical Trial Management Systems, Key Opinion Leaders and Tracking Systems.
- Enable delivery of best in class BI and customer information analytics, allowing a more sophisticated understanding of Emergent's clinical trials and development operations, thus driving greater accuracy in product development, speed and reducing time to market.
- Push advanced informatics solutions and data analysis services within R&D. Drive systems integration to deliver high-performance data management systems, applications, and analytical frameworks to enable data-driven "real-time" decision making, simplified operational workflows, and improved knowledge management and collaboration internally.
- Help develop a functional pipeline that can be capitalized on in preparing FDA submissions and in so doing getting products to market quicker.
- Strive for maximum operational efficiency within R&D. Drive collaboration across both the business and technology focusing on all key business items such as: ongoing integrations, regional sensitivity and medical affairs.
- Prioritization & Innovation - Proactively identify opportunities for R&D IT to deliver innovative solutions, improvements to processes/information flows and the ability to make informed decisions:
- Prioritize and progress opportunities to add business value through information and technological innovation within R&D.
- Manage and negotiate stakeholder expectations and demands and aligns with the IT strategy and delivery capacity (budget and resourcing). Provide input to governance committee for alignment on the global portfolio of initiatives such that IT initiatives support investment decisions with the greatest impact for the business, its colleagues and clients.
- Build and implement an innovation strategy in partnership with R&D, IT Business Partners and IT Leadership Team.
- Strategic Planning - Be a world-class IT partner to the R&D units - including pre-clinical, clinical, regulatory pharmacovigilance and medical affairs - which drives the successful progression of the drug pipeline. Facilitate the development of actionable, multi-year, strategy driven business and IT roadmaps. Liaise between assigned business units and IT communities to align the demands and priorities. Act as the principal information & technology advisor for assigned business units. Engages other IT subject matter experts as needed.
- Demand Shaping - Develop an in-depth understanding of the (R&D) strategy and business goals and translate this into needs and opportunities for IT to deliver benefit. Canvas the marketplace and proactively bring business and technology "art of possible" ideas to further the realization of R&D strategy. Partner with business and IT leaders to evaluate proposals, build business cases and plan new joint initiatives. Oversees creation and maintenance of business architecture and roadmap. Gather high level business requirements regarding new solutions and enhancements to existing solutions.
- Change Management - Act as an enterprise leader and looks holistically across R&D. Works with colleagues to ensure alignment of approach (harmonization) enabling simplicity, seamless information interchange and project transitions across functional boundaries.
- Partnering - Be the single point of contact for R&D business unit leaders. With the business, support and participate in formal status reporting. Manage stakeholder satisfaction with IT services. With technology teams (applications, infrastructure, security, project managers, and other Business Partners), work collaboratively to share knowledge ensuring One IT execution. Ensure resources are deployed effectively to support both R&D projects, function and capability-build initiatives (new solutions and services).
- Leadership - Strong and broad-based leadership skills from strategically minded to resourcefulness in working through others.
- Business Focus - This individual needs to ensure that the IT portfolio is in line to best support Emergent's business leadership's strategic aims. S/he must earn their seat at the table through their business acumen. Challenge business partners and push back when necessary to ensure that IT solutions always meet their needs whilst also being cost-efficient.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management's assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university is required specializing in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field; secondary degree in Life Sciences desirable.
- Deep experience implementing and running technologies within clinical systems, medical affairs and pharmacovigilance including: Trial Master Files, Clinical Trial Management Systems, Key Opinion Leaders and Tracking Systems.
- Demonstrated track-record of successfully implementing medium-sized enterprise projects in R&D IT lead role and delivering value through R&D IT/information solutions/services at scale in a Pharma/Biotech/Life Science/Scientific vendor organization (and with global experience).
- Change agent with strong leadership, interpersonal, influencing, communication and negotiation skills.
- A "thought-leader" known in their domain with a strong external/industry presence.
- Ability to speak intelligently of scientific factors affecting issues related to IT projects, IT development initiatives in the pharmaceutical development / product development space
- Have a strong understanding of R&D's data and informatics and the context around how it is generated, structured and effectively utilized demonstrate how IT can exploit it to maximize business impact
- Demonstrated ability to influence and shape a balanced portfolio of work - aligned to stakeholders' goals whilst adding edge and driving innovation in future capability.
- Proven ability to interpret and communicate technical and scientific information in a simple, clear and engaging manner. Excellent written and verbal skills with fluent English (written and verbal).
- A passion for quality, compliance and value in all that is delivered. Known for being relentless in delivering business outcomes - driving delivery, improving service, simplification and with a passion for "What science can do" - advancing potential medicines to patients.
- Strong business acumen: an exceptional communicator with the ability to translate scientific need into IT solutions (and technology/digital/information innovation into scientific opportunity) in clear, simple ways. Use exceptional business acumen in the shaping of requirements (demand) for IS projects and services
- A "thought-leader" known in their domain with a strong external/industry presence.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT CHARACTERISTICS
- There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- This information is available upon request from the candidate.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Minimal travel to other sites. May include international travel.