Senior Manager, Program Management
Senior Manager, Program Management
Founded at the birthplace of biotechnology, Nkarta's mission is to discover, develop and deliver novel off-the-shelf (e.g. allogeneic) natural killer (NK) cell therapies that profoundly impact patients' outcomes and survival . The company is based on the proprietary, robust and well-characterized NK cell expansion technology pioneered by Dr. Dario Campana. Nkarta is focused on leveraging the inherent power of NK cells to identify and kill abnormal cells and recruit adaptive immune effectors to generate responses that are deep and durable.
Nkarta combines its NK cell expansion and cryopreservation platform with proprietary cell engineering technologies to generate an abundant supply of NK cells, engineer enhanced NK cell recognition of tumor targets, and improve persistence for sustained activity in the body for the treatment of cancer.
Founded in 2015, Nkarta became a public company (Nasdaq symbol NKTX) in 2020. Our development pipeline of engineered NK cell therapy candidates consists of two co-lead programs, NKX101 and NKX019. The IND for NKX101 for the treatment of relapsed or refractory AML and higher-risk MDS was accepted by the FDA in July 2020. We expect to begin dosing patients in this study by the end of 2020. As we broaden the development of NKX101, we also plan to initiate studies in solid tumors. Our second co-lead program, NKX019, is designed to target B cell lymphomas. We plan to file our IND for NKX019 with the FDA in early 2021. In addition, we recently completed the construction of a GMP compliant clinical manufacturing facility in our South San Francisco location designed to produce viral vector and supply our initial clinical trials.
Position Title Senior Manager, Program Management
Location South San Francisco
Reports to VP, Program Management
Primary responsibilities for this role include integrating and managing projects to successful decision points from early research through Regulatory submissions. This person works closely with the project team leader to manage the program towards defined objectives. Additional opportunities include helping to build the PM function, optimizing processes, and providing strong leadership as the company grows.
• Establishes and maintains timelines and milestones for multiple programs aligned with the mission and goals of the company.
• Facilitates team alignment and integration of goals.
• Tracks project budgets and is the primary interface with finance team.
• Manages program and project team meetings ensuring cross-functional communication, decision making, and alignment.
• Along with the Project Team lead, functions as a primary point of contact for program-related activities and decisions.
• Supports and manages external partners and internal stakeholders.
• Facilitates and helps improve team effectiveness to ensure project objectives are being met within specified budget and timelines.
• Identifies opportunities to improve operations, make recommendations to leadership, and oversees their implementation.
• Communicates, coordinates and helps present program updates to company leadership
• Helps negotiate and secure alignment from internal and external stakeholders.
• Embodies the company culture of empowerment, diversity, and inclusion.
• Dynamic, team-oriented individual able to interact successfully with individuals in different functions
• Strategic thinker with strong hands on skills who able to use a business overlay in decision making and project oversight
• Demonstrated project management experience (~8 years) working as part of a multi-disciplinary team in biopharma drug development
• Proficiency with project management tools such as MS Project or SmartSheet
• Proven experience planning and managing budgets
• Self-motivated and able to operate independently.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the use of MS Office.
Education / Background
• BS required, advanced degree in science is desired (e.g., M.S., Ph.D.) plus the knowledge and skills typically acquired through a minimum of 8 years' relevant biopharma industry experience.
The common requirements of an office environment (computers, computer screens, workstations, etc.) apply when not working in or around the laboratory environment. Car and airplane travel might be requirement of this role.
The 70+ team members at our South San Francisco, California headquartered location describe working at Nkarta, along with opportunities for improvement, in some of the following ways:
• "Work is interesting - lots of projects in the pipeline (so I don't have to worry about the one project failing). Leadership is open, straight forward."
• "Smart, capable, nice people. People I work with day to day are enjoyable."
• "I like that the company is open minded with a (people) -(looking for) a set of skills that can grow (as opposed to thinking you have to have exactly what's in a job spec now) Things that broaden their (employees) skills and growth."
• "Like any startup there are fires to put out; feel confident we have the people to control those fires."
• "Diverse people from different backgrounds."
To learn more about our work at Nkarta and the career opportunities that will drive us forward to serve patients, please visit the company's website at https://www.nkartatx.com