Scientist I/II - Protein Purification
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to build a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine that has a track record of generating one new IND candidate per year. NGM’s current pipeline of clinical-stage programs consists of five drug candidates targeting liver and metabolic diseases, retinal diseases and cancer. The most advanced drug candidate, aldafermin (NGM282), is in Phase 2b clinical studies in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and is wholly-owned by NGM. Another drug candidate, NGM621, is in a Phase 2 study in geographic atrophy (GA) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD). NGM’s strategic collaboration with Merck, with a current term running to March 2022, provides us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
NGM is excited to hire a Protein Scientist to join our team. This role will involve the independent design and execution of experiments to discover and advance biologic medicines to clinical development. An ideal candidate will be a recent PhD graduate in the life sciences with a talent for protein purification and characterization.
- Independent development of methods and purification of proteins, including affinity and conventional chromatography
- Performing analytical methods to evaluate the biochemical properties of purified proteins
- Troubleshooting difficult-to-purify proteins
- Presenting and interpreting scientific data (findings) in project team meetings
- Represent the Protein Sciences group in cross functional projects
- Provide technical expertise and train colleagues in protein purification and analytical methods
- Operating FPLC and experience with a broad range of chromatographic media
- Protein characterization techniques such as DSC/nanoDSF, DLS, MALS, mass spectrometry, HPLC/UHPLC
- Strong understanding of biochemical and biophysical properties of proteins
- Deep knowledge of eukaryotic post-translational modifications
- Solid experience with molecular biology and recombinant expression systems
- Clear, concise Powerpoint presentation skills
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- A PhD in the life sciences, or experience in industry as a scientific project lead
- Creative and thoughtful problem solver; a positive, solutions-focused scientist
- A track record of thoughtful prioritization in laboratory settings that demonstrates an ability to balance efficiency with quality in the context of different projects
- Intentional practice of delegation and project management on lab projects
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, employee stock purchase program participation, 401(k) and a comprehensive, industry-leading, benefits package.
Interested applicants should click "Apply"
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency résumés. NGM Bio is not responsible for any fees related to résumés that are unsolicited.