Sr. Program Manager/ Associate Director Program Management
Chinook Therapeutics is a biotechnology company developing precision medicines for patients with kidney diseases. We apply our proprietary research platform to discover and develop therapeutics with novel mechanisms of action against key kidney disease pathways. The development focus is on rare, serious disorders with clear unmet medical needs and defined and rapid clinical development opportunities. Our lead program, atrasentan, is a late-stage clinical program for the treatment of primary glomerular kidney diseases planned to move into a phase 3 trial for IgA nephropathy in 2021. We are also advancing CHK-336 towards a planned IND in 2021 for an ultra-orphan kidney disease. In addition, our pipeline has several other internal programs at the validation and lead optimization stages and we are also evaluating business development opportunities for early and late-stage clinical assets to enhance the pipeline.
Chinook launched in 2019 with a $65 million Series A financing from leading healthcare investors Versant Venture, Apple Tree Partners and Samsara Biocapital, and recently announced a proposed merger with Aduro Biotech, Inc., which we expect to close in 2020. Chinook will be the surviving company following the merger and will trade on Nasdaq. Concurrent to the merger, we also recently announced a private placement financing of $106 million from leading healthcare investors including EcoR1, OrbiMed, and others. Upon both transactions closing, Chinook is expected to have at least $275 million in operating capital. Chinook currently has approximately 45 employees and is based in Seattle, WA and Vancouver, BC.
Chinook is looking for a high-performing Senior Program Manager/Associate Director Program Management to manage cross-functional Global Product Teams (GPTs) for pre-IND and early clinical programs. This position will partner with the Program Team Leader to successfully shape and execute drug development strategies, identify and resolve issues, and drive optimal decision-making to advance products to improve the lives of people living with kidney disease. This position reports to the Director of Program Management and can be located either in Seattle, WA or Vancouver, BC.
- Manage the operations of the Global Product Team (GPT) working in close partnership with Program Team Leader and functional team members
- Partner with the Program Team Leader to create a positive team environment that encourages cross-functional input, accountability, and robust analysis of options
- Partner with the Program Team Leader to facilitate efficient and effective GPT meetings; responsible for sending timely agendas and minutes
- Act as an integrator within the GPT and highlight interdependencies and downstream impacts of strategic decisions
- Develop and maintain high quality, cross-functional timelines with input from functional leads that align with program strategy. Visualize timelines in succinct and impactful ways to support communication, scenario planning and decision-making
- Drive proactive identification of risks; facilitate development and implementation of mitigation and contingency plans
- Advise on governance expectations and facilitate effective governance decision making
- Ensures all decisions are assessed as to their impacts and communicated to stakeholders in a transparent and timely manner
- Contribute to the growth and best practices of the Chinook Program Management function
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor's Degree in biomedical sciences, business or other discipline related to drug development required. Advanced degree (MS, MBA, MPH, Ph.D.) highly desirable
- 7+ years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry including cross-functional, drug development program management experience
- Strong understanding of drug development and how various functions contribute to product strategy and execution
- Experience managing IND-enabling activities and/or phase 1 clinical activities highly desirable
- Ability to influence teams and stakeholders without formal authority
- Ability to resolve complex problems and manage difficult stakeholder situations
- Strong communicator able to integrate and summarize information to effectively tailor messages to various audiences, including senior leaders
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate in a cross-functional environment with geographically distributed team members
- Proficiency with MS Office and timeline software (e.g., MS Project, Smartsheet) required
Chinook is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, place of origin, religion, family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and disability or any other federal, state, provincial or local protected ground.