Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate, Protein Sciences
About Mantra Bio:
Mantra Bio is a biotechnology company developing exosome therapeutics. We are a data-first company re-imagining therapeutics from the ground up by leveraging insights from exosomes. Our team of biologists, data scientists, and platform engineers have built REVEALTM, a proprietary exosome intelligence platform enabling the discovery of exosomes therapeutics in multiple disease areas. We are proud to count 8VC, Viking, Illumina, and TenCent among our investors. Mantra Bio is a resident company of Bayer Innovation, Bayer Co-Laborator in Mission Bay, San Francisco.
About the Role:
Mantra Bio is seeking a highly motivated protein chemist to develop, produce, and characterize our next generation of exosome therapies. You will be working independently and as part of a team exploring a variety of approaches to engineer targeted exosomes. You will also work cross-functionally with scientists, engineers, and data scientists to rapidly iterate, and optimize engineered exosome construct designs scaffold and cargo designs in a fast, nimble culture. You are operationally minded, able to run multiple projects in parallel, and willing to do what it takes to drive the team and projects forward. A successful applicant will have significant prior experience in protein design, production, and characterization using multiple approaches to validate quality and purity.
- Assist R&D scientists in the design, production, and characterization of exosomes including but not limited to transient transfection, chromatographic purification, and affinity characterization by flow cytometry, vFC or cell binding assays.
- Maintain suspension/adherent cell cultures and perform transient transfection at small and large scale.
- Characterize scaffold expression and binding affinity by a variety of assays including interferometry, SPR, and vesicle flow cytometry.
- Troubleshoot and optimize design through data interpretation and development of novel approaches, procedures and techniques.
- Be creative, innovative, and self-motivated in problem solving. Able to pay attention to details and make informed hypotheses.
- Independently plan and execute experiments. Organize, analyze, and communicate results in team meetings.
- Ensure the laboratory and analytical instruments are well maintained and troubleshoot potential issues.
- Coordinate tasks across multiple projects, demonstrating prioritization and planning. We are a start-up and are looking for applicants who are self-motivated critical thinkers driven to meet project timelines and willing to adapt in a highly dynamic environment.
What We're Looking For:
- B.A./B.S. degree with 4+ years of experience or MS degree with 2+ years of experience. Industry experience preferred.
- Highly proficient in transient protein production maintaining suspension and adherent cell lines with excellent cell culture aseptic technique.
- Experience in construct design, and transient transfection producing secreted proteins, receptors, and/ or antibodies.
- Experience determining product quality and potency by a variety of assays including SDS-PAGE, HPLC, interferometry, SPR, ELISA, and reporter cell assays.
- Experience producing extracellular vesicles, VLPs, or AAVs is a plus.
- Experience with flow cytometry is strongly preferred.
- Ability to design and implement adequate experimental controls.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently hands-on as well as within a multi-functional team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear, succinct, and timely communication and proven ability to foster strong relationships with other team members and stakeholders.
- Highly self-motivated and detail-oriented, with proven ability to work in a dynamic, fast-moving team.
- Comfortable working with a data-driven team and collaborating with research scientists, data scientists and platform engineers from different backgrounds.
- Familiarity or experience with scripting and statistical analysis of data, nice to have.
- Experience collaborating with computational scientists while analyzing data, nice to have.
Well Being for All.
We create exosome therapeutics that eliminate suffering and enable our global community to live well. At Mantra Bio, we believe in cultivating a principled environment of ‘Well Being’ for our team first that extends to the patients we seek to cure.
Mantra Bio’s Culture:
At Mantra Bio, we value Self-Empowerment, Candor, Curiosity, and Unity. We take pride in building a close knit team of humble, wildly intelligent All Stars that thrive in collaborative environments. We trust each team member to do what’s best for the organization and strive for ‘People over Process.’ We believe that a culture of feedback is essential to personal growth, and in turn, organizational growth. We practice giving and receiving feedback as often as we can, while giving and receiving kudos even more. Above all, we believe in cultivating curiosity and learning, in an environment of empathy and respect.
Mantra Bio is committed to inclusion and diversity in our hiring practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe in diversity being the backbone of a strong company.