Senior Director, Payer Marketing
Ready to join a team committed to developing and commercializing gene therapies for patients and families devastated by rare neurological genetic diseases? Since 2013, Novartis Gene Therapies (formerly AveXis) has had one focus: bringing change to those devastated by genetic diseases.
The Novartis Gene Therapies culture embraces this mission. As a compassionate and dedicated team, we are enthusiastic about the science behind our work and finding answers to difficult questions. We are dedicated to communities affected by rare diseases, and these patients and families are the motivation for everything we do.
We have built a team with exceptional depth of experience, unified by a common vision; to develop gene therapies with the potential to positively impact the lives of the patients and families devastated by rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Though we are proud of what we have achieved to date, we remain relentlessly focused on making that vision a reality.
With cutting-edge technology, we are making progress in the treatment of rare and life-threatening neurological genetic diseases. Our initial gene therapy for spinal muscular atrophy (SMA) has been approved in the U.S., Japan, EU and Brazil.
The Senior Director is responsible for the development, execution, and evaluation of strategic and tactical US market access initiatives supporting optimal coverage, provider reimbursement, and market access initiatives for Novartis Gene Therapies existing and pipeline products.
This role works closely with the field-based US market access teams to ensure access and reimbursement for Novartis Gene Therapies products. In addition, he/she manages the team responsible contracting and payer marketing.
The successful candidate will be responsible to create an environment in which the team is highly motivated and engaged to work together and cross functionally to deliver exceptional results and ensure long-term success.
- Owns development of each product value suite of offerings including core product value decks with meaningful clinical and economic content used by Directors of National Accounts.
- Collaborates with global market access colleagues to ensure organizational alignment on product strategy and value proposition content.
- Develops contract proposals (including financial models, GTN implications, and ROI analysis for evaluation) and effective negotiation strategies.
- Serves as the US Commercial Lead for sponsored laboratory testing programs. Develops and manages sponsored laboratory testing programs to facilitate diagnosis of rare diseases and treatment with gene therapies.
- Provides input into brand planning process that bridges coverage /access goals with emerging payer needs (unmet medical need, suitable comparators and competitive space).
- Provides a total organization view and ensures proper organizational alignment around key factors affecting coverage, provider reimbursement and patient access.
- Understands and articulates key stakeholder economics that are impacted by Novartis Gene Therapies existing product treatment decisions to respective brand teams.
- Identifies and conducts payer analytics to highlight potential brand performance issues and clarify opportunities to improve performance and access.
- Ensures payer and field reimbursement account teams have the tools and resources needed to address potential gap analysis between payer expectations and what Novartis Gene Therapies existing products can deliver.
- Leads payer marketing strategy, business planning, vendor contracts and oversees the overall budget.
- Builds and leads a high performing team that demonstrates strong competencies and delivers results.
- Demonstrates broad cross functional leadership. Shares best practices across Novartis Gene Therapies managed markets and marketing teams to ensure organizational learnings are applied to help drive appropriate reimbursement and coverage for product portfolio.
- Ensures compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and regulatory guidelines governing commercial and scientific interactions with healthcare professionals, payers, advocacy and other business partners.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- 10+ years of pharmaceutical commercial experience preferred.
- Experience in the rare disease therapeutic area is preferred.
- Ability to solve problems that include many decision makers and carry several options for solutions, as well as persuasive written and verbal communication skills.
- Comprehensive understanding of legal and regulatory issues impacting pharmaceutical product marketing as well as the dynamics driving the US health care environment.
- Able to integrate business knowledge, financial knowledge and analyses of available information to make sound business decisions. Can apply financial analysis to build business cases that drive quality decision making and management processes.
- Demonstrated understanding of program/project management processes and tools.
- Adept at developing people and architecting the team to achieve the goals of the business.
- Must be able to travel (25%) as dictated by business need.
The level of this position will be based on the final candidate's qualifications.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Novartis Gene Therapies is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation or veteran status.