In Vivo Research Associate/Sr. Research Associate
About Mantra Bio:
Mantra Bio is a biotechnology company developing exosome therapeutics. We are a data-first company re-imagining therapeutics from the ground up by leveraging insights from exosomes. Our team of biologists, data scientists, and platform engineers have built REVEALTM, a proprietary exosome intelligence platform enabling the discovery of exosomes therapeutics in multiple disease areas. We are proud to count 8VC, Viking, Illumina, and TenCent among our investors. Mantra Bio is a resident company of Bayer Innovation, Bayer Co-Laborator in Mission Bay, San Francisco.
About the Role:
Mantra Bio is seeking a highly motivated research associate to develop, execute, and maintain critical animal studies (in vivo) in support of our early stage exosome therapy programs. You will be working directly with experienced scientists driving the discovery, characterization, and development of our therapeutic programs. The primary function of this role is to leverage use of animal models for drug efficacy, biodistribution, and PK/PD studies for Mantra Bio’s therapeutic candidates. You will work cross-functionally with scientists, engineers, and data scientists to rapidly iterate critical assays in a fast, nimble culture. You are operationally minded, able to run multiple projects in parallel, and willing to do what it takes to drive the team and projects forward. A successful applicant will have prior hands-on experience in animal handling, dosing, and preclinical animal models. A successful applicant will be comfortable performing high risk/high impact research, work collaboratively across various projects to meet milestones, and play a key role in building the culture of the company as it grows.
- Perform in vivo studies to evaluate efficacy, biodistribution, Pk/Pd, and safety in rodent models, focusing in rare disease models
- Support preclinical scientist with hands-on work, establishing different animal rare disease models to administer test articles by various routes of administration (e.g. IVT, IV, IP, IM, SC, IC, topical, etc)
- Perform rodent bleeding (cardiac puncture, submandibular, tail vein, etc.), and blood processing to obtain plasma or serum for downstream PK analysis
- Support in vivo preclinical scientist to perform rodent surgery, necropsy, euthanasia, tissue harvesting and perfusion
- Perform in vivo imaging (e.g. IVIS)
- Observe animals for general health and overall wellbeing and manage health or injection records (i.e., weight measurement).
- Support preclinical scientist performing ex vivo analyses to examine drug pharmacodynamics and support biomarker discovery
- Collaborate with research teams or external CROs on relevant ex vivo assays (Flow cytometry, PCR, ELISA, IHC, etc.)
- Execute mammalian cell culture to support cell based assays validation
- Adhere to IACUC, SOPs, study protocols and study reports to ensure GLP-like studies are performed.
- Maintain and complete accurate documentation of all work performed in various internal databases and electronic lab notebook (ELN)
- Study preparation including tube labeling and sample management following completion of study.
- Documenting clinical observations and recording body/organ weights into study management software.
- Analyze and process data to generate presentations for internal and external company meetings, supporting company leadership in patent filing and scientific publications
- Responsibilities require a work schedule that may include working outside of normal work hours, in order to meet business demands such as weekend/Holiday to support (BID/QD) dosing (rotating schedule).
- Work cross functionally to provide support to other R&D teams in vivo needs.
What We're Looking For:
- MS with 2 years or BS with 3-5 years of relevant experience in life science or related discipline in industry or academic animal laboratory setting.
- Knowledge on ethical animal handling, review and follow Animal Care and Use Procedure (IACUC), study protocol, study reports and SOPs.
- Proficiency in animal handling, various dosing techniques, (IVT, IV, IP, IM, SC, IC, topical, etc)
- Hands-on animal blood collection by different techniques like cardiac puncture, submandibular, retro-orbital, tail vein, etc, for PK/BD analysis
- Experience with mouse rare disease models other than cancer is a plus
- Proficient on major organ collection (i.e., liver, kidney, brain, heart, lung).
- Proficient in rodent tissue perfusion (single organ and whole-body), anesthesia, euthanazia and necropsy. Experience in Eye subregion dissection is a plus.
- Ability to perform and interpret complex in vivo experiments
- Proficient in analytical techniques including multicolor flow cytometry, confocal microscopy, RT-qPCR, RNA extraction, Western blotting, ELISA, ELISPOT and other immunoassays
- Strong organizational and documentation skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently hands-on as well as within a multi-functional team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including clear, succinct, and timely communication.
- Highly self-motivated and detail-oriented individual, with proven ability to work in a dynamic and fast paced environment
- Comfortable working with a data-driven team and collaborating with research scientists, data scientists and platform engineers from different backgrounds
- Familiarity or experience with scripting and statistical analysis of data is nice to have
- Experience collaborating with computational scientists while analyzing data is nice to have
Well Being for All.
We create exosome therapeutics that eliminate suffering and enable our global community to live well. At Mantra Bio, we believe in cultivating a principled environment of ‘Well Being’ for our team first that extends to the patients we seek to cure.
Mantra Bio’s Culture:
At Mantra Bio, we value Self-Empowerment, Candor, Curiosity, and Unity. We take pride in building a close knit team of humble, wildly intelligent All Stars that thrive in collaborative environments. We trust each team member to do what’s best for the organization and strive for ‘People over Process.’ We believe that a culture of feedback is essential to personal growth, and in turn, organizational growth. We practice giving and receiving feedback as often as we can, while giving and receiving kudos even more. Above all, we believe in cultivating curiosity and learning, in an environment of empathy and respect.
Mantra Bio is committed to inclusion and diversity in our hiring practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe in diversity being the backbone of a strong company.