Executive Director, Engineering Project Controls
The Executive Director Engineering, Project Controls will report directly to the Vice President, Engineering and is a key member of the Engineering Senior Leadership Team. The Project Controls organization provides leadership globally in supporting all aspects of project controls to optimize the total cost of ownership of Amgen physical assets and ensures compliance to project execution processes. Project controls supports and holds a responsibility of the Engineering Project Delivery providing standardized delivery from investment life cycle management, funding, planning, design, execution, and closeout.
The organization is responsible for providing services in supporting project planning, funding, estimating, cost control management, scheduling, forecasting, bench marking, project risk, contract strategy, and compliance of engineering processes for capital projects globally. Project controls works with many clients accomplishing this support through responsibility of the Engineering Project Delivery Process (EPD), and Lean Project Delivery. Project controls also coordinates internal audits and assists in identifying compliance risks.
- As part of the Global Engineering Senior Leadership team, drive department strategy and deliverables
- Sets the strategic direction for Project Controls and is accountable for the overall delivery of that strategy
- Leadership and management responsibilities for the global project controls organization
- Overall responsibility for the team executing key capital projects within project schedule and budget for a $700M portfolio
- Oversees project controls aspects globally across projects and programs
- Exhibits proactive safety leadership and behavior
- Delivers presentations of project controls performance
- Oversees the project controls effectiveness and compliance utilizing strong analytical views to lead the project teams to ensure proper evaluation and analysis
- Supports innovation across the Engineering organization
- Leads project controls metrics and performance board reviews
- Develops and maintains purposeful presence across sites
- Provides leadership support for risk analysis reviews for cost estimates, cost forecasts, and schedules using applicable software packages
- Doctorate degree & 6 years of Engineering and capital projects delivery experience OR
- Master's degree & 10 years of Engineering and capital projects delivery experience OR
- Bachelor's degree & 12 years of Engineering and capital projects delivery experience AND
- 6 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resources
- MBA degree
- 15 or more years of engineering experience in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology/Engineering industry in project controls (Funding, Estimating, Cost Management, Scheduling, Audit)
- 10 or more years of experience in executing project controls on projects
- 5 or more years managing a project controls staff across multiple sites
- Experience managing all levels of experience within project controls up through executive management
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships across the network
- Knowledge of project controls with expertise in engineering
- Drive business requirements and project controls processes
- Understanding scope control by change management, estimating, and cost and schedule management
- Capable of all types of estimating from conceptual through definitive construction estimates to ensure estimate delivery & accuracy
- Development and reporting of project cost, schedule, and cash flow
- Analysis and accurate review of engineering / construction cost forecasts against scope
- Project controls resource planning for site
Executive Director - Key Behaviors:
- Build teams to ensure project controls support for required sites and projects
- Support business requirements
- Effective communication, leadership across projects and escalation
- Demonstrated experience and ability to prioritize key areas of focus
- Proactive leadership involvement
- Decision making through use of Amgen's DAI tools
- Leadership encourage career development
- Champion team successes and value
We understand that to successfully sustain and grow as a global enterprise and deliver for patients - we must ensure a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Our culture is what makes Amgen a special place to work. We have a powerful shared purpose around our mission - to serve patients. We respect one another, recognize contributions, and have embedded collaboration, trust, empowerment and inclusion in all that we do.
MEANINGFUL IMPACT. To serve patients. We are all deeply committed to our mission: to serve patients. And we all have opportunities to contribute to that mission in meaningful ways. This creates a powerful sense of shared purpose.
INNOVATIVE: Stretch yourself at the cutting edge. You're poised to have a high impact in the new Bio century, Amgen offers our people interesting and challenging work.
REPUTATION. Be behind world-renowned products and services. With our industry reputation and strong product pipeline, you can take pride in working at Amgen.
COLLABORATIVE. Work alongside the best. Be part of our highly talented, hard-working teams. Their spirit is what fuels our success.
REWARDING. Get a fair share in success. Everyone's contribution is recognized - and strong performance is rewarded.
If you're seeking a career where you can truly make a difference in the lives of others, a career where you can work at the absolute forefront of biotechnology with the top minds in the field, you'll find it at Amgen.
Amgen, a biotechnology pioneer, discovers, develops and delivers innovative human therapeutics. Our medicines have helped millions of patients in the fight against cancer, kidney disease, rheumatoid arthritis and other serious illnesses.
As an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for people around the world, Amgen fosters an inclusive environment of diverse, ethical, committed and highly accomplished people who respect each other but compete intensely to win. Together, we live the Amgen values as we continue advancing science to serve patients.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.