Associate Director, State Policy
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
The Associate Director, State Policy will support the U.S. policy team in identifying and analyzing U.S. state public policy issues that could impact AbbVie, the patients we serve, and help lead the development of company-wide policy positioning. The Associate Director will generate analysis and communicate changes in policies and/or other significant developments in the states and at trade associations to GA team members and other internal stakeholders. The Associate Director will work with internal stakeholders to determine the impact of proposed policies on AbbVie, guide development of policy positions, and work with the State Government Affairs team to develop strategies to mitigate negative policies and advance proactive policies. The Associate Director will represent AbbVie in trade association venues to ensure AbbVie's priorities are reflected in trade policy strategies and positions.
- Monitor and analyze state legislative and regulatory developments that impact AbbVie and its products at the state level.
- Work with internal stakeholders to determine how state legislative and regulatory developments impact AbbVie.
- Provide internal expertise on state policy and create policy materials such as talking points, policy papers, and legislative language, in collaboration with legal, to support State Government Affairs colleagues in driving adoption of AbbVie priorities and policy positions.
- Identify public policy trends that could impact AbbVie and develop proactive policy positions, in conjunction with internal AbbVie stakeholders, to ensure positions support key business objectives.
- Work with the GA Therapeutic Area Strategies team to understand brand strategies and incorporate key insights into policy analyses and development.
- Communicate changes in policies and other significant developments and AbbVie impact to GA colleagues and other internal stakeholders.
- Direct and manage external consultant work to ensure deliverables are timely and high-quality.
- Ensure alignment with Federal Policy and International Policy functions to ensure global consistency of AbbVie's public policy positions.
- Represent AbbVie in policy-setting discussions at trade associations and other organizations. Drive process to ensure adoption of AbbVie priorities in industry positions.
- Minimum five years of experience in positions of increasing responsibility and must possess significant experience in the public policy arena with knowledge of government affairs, public policy, and/or the law.
- Relevant experience in health care with a focus on pharmaceuticals policy preferred as well as an understanding of the role of government agencies in health policy. Demonstrated knowledge of government policies that impact the pharmaceutical industry at the state level & interaction with federal policy issues.
- Ability to identify policy opportunities and challenges, and to develop concise and persuasive public policy positions and other written materials within the context of the political environment.
- Exceptional communicator (verbal, written, presentations). Ability to effectively communicate public policy information and positions to internal and external stakeholders.
- Must be able to work collaboratively with peers, handle ambiguity well and enjoy working in a collegial, yet fast-paced and demanding environment.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and organizational skills; strong attention to detail.
- Bachelor's degree in related field such as health care administration, political science, public administration, or public policy required. Advance degree preferred (MPH, MBA, JD, MPP).
- Some domestic travel (20 percent) required.
Members of the Government Affairs team and other internal cross-functional teams. Externally with trade associations, peer companies, third party policy organizations, state governments and agencies.
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 20 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.