Principal Scientist - Protein Purification / Characterization
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to build a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine that has a track record of generating one new IND candidate per year. NGM’s current pipeline of clinical-stage programs consists of five drug candidates targeting liver and metabolic diseases, retinal diseases and cancer. The most advanced drug candidate, aldafermin (NGM282), is in Phase 2b clinical studies in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and is wholly-owned by NGM. Another drug candidate, NGM621, is in a Phase 2 study in geographic atrophy (GA) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD). NGM’s strategic collaboration with Merck, with a current term running to March 2022, provides us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
NGM is excited to hire a Principal Scientist for our Protein Chemistry group. This role involves the supervision and support of a team of researchers, and focuses on the development and implementation of new protein purification and characterization methods. It is a perfect role for a scientist with substantive experience in the large molecule drug discovery space, looking to lead a team in a dynamic research environment.
- Lead a group of protein scientists to advance our therapeutic programs
- Support protein purification and characterization workload in project teams
- Develop and implement technologies and processes for protein purification and characterizations
- Work closely with other research groups and project teams to achieve program goals
- Consult and thought-partner with scientists to design effective experiments
- Enthusiastically speak to internal and external collaborators and investors about the research direction of your group
- Ph.D. with a strong track record of contributions to the field of protein biochemistry
- Minimum 8 years of experience with biologics/large molecule drug discovery in the biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical industry
- Broad experience in biochemistry, protein chemistry, structural biology and protein drug characterizations
- Deep understanding of protein activity assays and activity characterization
- Strong background with biochemical and biophysical analytical technologies such as HPLC, light scattering and the mass spectrometry based characterization of proteins
- Collaborative scientific worldview; a cheerleader for cross-functional discourse as a method of scientific innovation
- Track record of communicative growth; a trajectory of getting better at listening and becoming better at articulating complexity and nuance
- Thoughtful approach to feedback; a proven ability to facilitate scientific and professional feedback conversations that inspire growth and transformation
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, 401(k) and a comprehensive benefits package.
Interested applicants should click "Apply"
We have become aware of false offers of employment being made by individuals impersonating NGM representatives in order to collect personal information and/or payment. Please exercise caution when receiving unsolicited recruiting offers. NGM always lists all open positions on the NGM careers page and all employment applications must be submitted through our online portal. NGM will never solicit payment or payment information from candidates. Please be advised that NGM is not currently hiring in any countries other than the US. We never request that candidate information be sent to a non-ngmbio.com email address.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency résumés. NGM Bio is not responsible for any fees related to résumés that are unsolicited.