Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
The Controls Engineer will be a member of the Engineering & Facilities team supporting a biotech manufacturing facility. The employee will provide technical support and administrative expertise on a plant-wide basis for the various site automation and control systems, including Data Acquisition, PLC-based Process Control, Distributed Control and Building Management Systems. In addition, the employee will provide support for the site security systems
- Analyze and resolve hardware, software, field devices and communication issues.
- Make any necessary repairs, replacements, upgrades, or retrofits.
- Support Metrology with calibration and repair of critical instrumentation and the execution of Preventive Maintenance and Corrective work.
- Monitor performance of process control and associated data acquisition systems.
- Install, configure, wire, and attach control devices to field panels (controllers).
- Create and/or modify graphic screens, create programs and download to controllers, trouble shoot and correct building automation control system problems.
- Coordinate with internal groups and external resources such as vendors, consultants and contractors for system maintenance and replacement, as well as upgrades to software and hardware systems.
- Support startup and commissioning activities with new automated equipment, processes and facilities.
- Perform various GMP and non-GMP documentation activities, including SAP functions, Deviations, CAPAs, Change Control and SOP revisions.
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management's assignment of essential functions.
MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
- 5+ years of experience in control system integration or support of automation and controls systems in manufacturing operations is required.
- Associates Degree or formal training in Engineering Technology or another associated technical field is preferred.
- Expertise in Rockwell Automation/Allen-Bradley based control systems, including software, hardware, and field devices, is a requirement.
- Expertise in the installation and troubleshooting of field devices and instrumentation wiring systems that utilize 4 - 20mA, 0 - 5VDC, and Digital-based signals is required.
- Proficient in reading and understanding instrumentation and control system specifications and drawings.
- Ability to read and understand PLC program code using Rockwell Automation development software is a requirement.
- Knowledge of Ethernet-based control is required.
- Experience with Siemens Desigo and Insight Building Management Systems is a plus.
- Experience with OSIsoft OSI Pi Historian and associated software suites is desired.
- Prior cGMP experience is preferred. Experience with CFR part 11 and GAMP guidelines is strongly desired and experience with commissioning, qualification, and validation a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Project, Word, and Excel.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Must have the ability to multi-task with minimal direction and coordinate workload by priority.
- Must be customer service and quality driven.
- Must be able to work in a multi-disciplinary team and, when necessary, represent the interests of the Bayview Campus Automation Team, the Engineering and Facilities Department and the Company.
- Must be able to receive constructive feedback and adapt to change within a dynamic environment.
- Must be tenacious while maintaining integrity and self-awareness.
- Must be able to adapt to change, viewing obstacles as opportunities.
- Must have a desire to continue to promote personal development.
- Must comply with all applicable rules and regulations of Emergent and the Pharmaceutical / Biotech industry. This includes FDA regulations such as cGMP, GDP, EH&S regulations and company regulations such as the employee handbook.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT CHARACTERISTICS
- There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- This information is available upon request from the candidate.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, Protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions' approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions' approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.