Janux Therapeutics is a privately held biotechnology company based in San Diego that is leveraging an innovative and proprietary discovery platform to efficiently develop tumor activated drugs that empower the immune system to eradicate cancer. Janux is developing unique immunotherapies that generate tumor-specific immune responses to attack and kill tumors without destroying a patient’s healthy tissue. Furthermore, Janux technology can be applied to immunotherapies that target all three stages of an anti-tumor immune response. Janux proprietary molecules combine tumor-specific activation with multi-stage anti-tumor signaling with the goal of significantly improving safety, expanding the therapeutic dosing window, and maximizing patient responses. As an early stage startup company, Janux is looking for energetic and talented candidates with a desire to work in a fast-paced and dynamic team environment. We believe that the whole team contributes to the overall mission. We succeed as a team, and we grow as a team.
Job Title: Scientist I
The Scientist will participate in hands-on pre-clinical drug discovery and development programs with a focus on cancer and immune cell biology in response to targeted therapeutics. The candidate will characterize and develop large molecules in close collaboration with senior management as an integral member of the drug discovery team. The individual will provide technical and scientific expertise in efforts to understand drug dependent innate and adaptive immune responses against cancer. The successful candidate will have extensive hands on experience with standard immunological and cancer biology techniques (Flow cytometry, ELISA, T cell activation, tumor cell killing etc.). The Scientist will be responsible for internal research efforts related to pre-clinical drug discovery and characterization.
This position is hands-on and requires the effective communication and documentation of results that enable the advancement of novel research molecules toward development candidates. Ideal applicants will be collaborative and team-oriented, possess excellent communication and organizational skills, and carry a strong commitment to excellence.
Education and Experience requirements:
- PhD and 1-3+ years postdoctoral training is preferred or highly proficient BS/MS with 8+ years experience in cellular immunology, immuno-oncology, or a related field
- Proven track record of success demonstrated by training from top research universities with first author papers in high impact journals and presentations at scientific conferences
- Proven ability to make important contributions to cancer biology, immuno-oncology, or related fields
- Current knowledge of oncology research, drug discovery and development, with emphasis on immune cell activation, checkpoint, and exhaustion pathways
- A thorough knowledge of the molecular pathways involved in the activation of the innate and/or adaptive immune response
- Experience with bispecific antibody related immuno-oncology therapies is preferred
- Proficiency in the culture of human primary immune cells (mainly T cells and PBMCs)
- Proven experience with immune cell activation and exhaustion as well as immune cell mediated tumor killing assays
- Basic experience with multi-color flow cytometry, molecular biology techniques (PCR, Gibson assembly, cloning etc.), ELISA, and other standard cell based & non-cell based biochemical assays
- Experience running immunological in vitro models (immune-oncology)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Be an effective team player and strong individual contributor, flexible, and able to handle multiple tasks and deliver high quality results under tight timelines
- Design, conduct, interpret, and report laboratory experiments on a daily basis
- Interpretation, presentation, and detailed documentation of experiments within a lab notebook as well as preparation of reports.
- Help manage internal laboratory activities under tight timelines
- Execute standard operating procedures as well as develop new ones within the Janux programs
- Develop new immuno-oncology assays with detailed protocol documentation
- Conduct multiple research activities in parallel
- Help identify and prioritize high impact research activities
- Keep up with published literature centered around cancer targets and immuno-oncology therapies directly relevant to the Janux programs
Required Key Attributes:
- Candidates must have strong communication skills as evidenced in public presentations and/or peer reviewed literature.
- Candidates must have effective troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Success in this role requires high attention to detail with the ability to multi-task
- Candidates must be an effective team player, strong individual contributor, self-motivated, flexible, and able to handle multiple tasks and deliver high quality results under tight timelines
- Highly organized and diligent about documentation is required and cannot be overstated
In addition to a competitive compensation package with stock options, Janux also offers a comprehensive benefits package for our employees and their families, which includes medical, dental, vision, and supplemental disability insurance. Relocation assistance is also available.
Job Type: Full-time
- Medical insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Supplemental disability insurance plans
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- Flexible vacation
- Sick time
- Incentive stock option plan
- Relocation assistance
- Monday to Friday
- United States (Required)
- Annual targeted bonus %
- On site required – La Jolla / Torrey Pines
- Working remotely not available