Upstream Scientist, Vector Manufacturing
StrideBio is a product-driven, fully integrated gene therapy company focused on creating and developing innovative genetic medicines with life-changing or curative potential for patients with devastating conditions, including monogenic rare disease and beyond.
We leverage our proprietary structure-inspired adeno-associated virus (AAV) vector engineering platform (STRIVE) to create unique and differentiated vectors that improve upon naturally occurring AAV serotypes to overcome current limitations of first-generation gene therapies. Combined with our genetic construct design expertise and in-house manufacturing capabilities, StrideBio is positioned to generate best-in-class genetic medicines that allow more patients to benefit with maximum efficiency, leading to improved treatment outcomes.
Our team is comprised of accomplished leaders and talented, passionate colleagues with a desire to translate innovative science into treatments. Together with our collaborators we are making rapid progress on our mission to bring novel medicines to patients who desperately need them. StrideBio's offices, labs and manufacturing facility are located in the heart of Research Triangle Park, NC, within 10 miles of downtown Durham and Raleigh-Durham International Airport. Please visit www.stridebio.com to learn more.
We need your talents in performing experimental tasks as part of a team with high reproducibility and attention to detail. The production team provides a critical service for the R&D organizations within StrideBio, allowing the company to test new vectors candidates.
This critical position is responsible for production of recombinant adeno-associated virus (rAAV) vectors via maintenance of mammalian and insect cell lines, transfection, infection, and downstream purification of rAAV by chromatography and ultracentrifugation. You will utilize shake flasks, WAVE bioreactors, and stir-tank bioreactors for scale up experiments. Work activities will also include compiling experimental data and contributing to protocols and study reports with minimal supervision. This is a 70% lab-based position in a BSL II material laboratory. Important, the basis of this work will become the foundation for the GMP manufacturing process for the company.
- Maintain cell growth, transfection, and infection of mammalian and insect cells for baculovirus and rAAV manufacturing using shake flasks and single-use bioreactors
- Execute purification technologies related to rAAV manufacturing including microfiltration, depth filtration, tangential flow filtration, and sterile filtration
- Assist in the production of preclinical and clinical materials in a laboratory or GMP cleanroom settings
- Perform vector characterization assays (qPCR, SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, etc.) on in-process and final samples on as needed basis
- Review data of self and junior scientists and/or associates; independently contribute and present results and prepare publications, reports, or electronic documents
- Report any anticipated or unexpected technical issues and perform troubleshooting
- Train and assist in the Technical Transfer of downstream process into GMP clinical/commercial manufacturing
- Ensure accurate and up-to-date records of laboratory activities via electronic documentation
- Execute laboratory work plan/schedule developed with input from supervisor or senior team members
- Interface with other departments (Quality Control, Process Development, Programs, etc.)
- Perform other responsibilities as needed
- M.S. in Biochemistry, Chemistry, Biology, or related discipline.
- Working knowledge of upstream production techniques; experience with Eppendorf bioreactor, Allegro STR single-use bioreactor, WAVE bioreactors or stir-tank bioreactors is required.
- 5+ years of related work experience. Prefer experience from a biotech or pharma setting related to biological manufacturing
- Technical proficiency required for aspects of cell line growth and production of biological product
- Must have strong attention to detail, along with strong organizational, planning and documentation skills
- Strong written and verbal communications, including critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated experience troubleshooting experiments, and is an excellent problem-solver who thrives on solving scientific challenges
- Must be a self-motivated and driven professional who can effectively perform in a rapidly changing, small company environment
- Must be able to work independently, but is also a team player with strong collaborative skills
- Working knowledge of downstream purification techniques; experience with GE AKTA systems (Pure, Avant, Pilot) FPLC is a plus.
- Experience with production of baculovirus or rAAV viral vectors and performing bioassays
- Experience working in a cGMP environment and familiarity with aseptic manufacturing.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package including:
- Stock Options and Bonus
- Medical, Dental, and Vision health insurance
- Matching 401k plans (both Pre-tax and Roth Post-tax)
- Life/AD&D, Long-term and Short-term disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Voluntary: Supplemental Life, Critical Illness, Group Accident, Hospital Indemnity, Identity Theft Protection
Additionally, we provide the following perks:
- Relocation Services
- Retail Member Discount Programs
- Complimentary onsite gym membership
- Fully stocked kitchen
- Socials, happy hours, and other events throughout the year (currently "virtual")