Director, Protein Sciences
Magenta Therapeutics a clinical-stage biotechnology company developing novel medicines to bring the curative power of immune reset to more patients by making the process more effective, safer and easier. A culture fueled by an amazing, passionate group of people committed to the idea of "patients first" and making a difference are at the very core of our progress in pursuing this vision.
We are seeking an individual to lead the Protein Sciences department and to provide strategic and scientific oversight from discovery to development with diverse modalities including biologics and ADCs. The ideal candidate operates comfortably in a pioneering environment and has had senior level scientific/technical responsibility with substantial experience in the successful discovery and development of protein therapeutics across many biologic applications. The candidate must have a thorough understanding of all the requirements and processes needed in drug development from target identification through discovery and into clinical development. S/he must bring a strong entrepreneurial orientation along with highly developed leadership and team building skills.
You are perfect for this role if you are engaged by:
- Developing a vision for establishing a world-class protein sciences department that is designed to unlock to full potential of current and future clinical targets and modalities
• Developing and executing a strategy for effective high throughput construction, expression and screening of protein-based libraries using mammalian, bacterial and yeast expression systems
• Building capabilities to generate high throughput protein expression, purification, characterization and functional data
• Overseeing the production and deep characterization of initial leads, optimized leads and clinical candidates
• Driving continual improvements and optimization of platform enabling continued success as the organization scales and continues to be a transformative leader in the field of stem cell transplant and immune and blood system resetting
• Recruiting, motivating and developing a world class, highly innovative protein sciences organization; maintaining a culture that promotes creativity, open communication, collegiality both within the group and across the company
• Defining the company's research and development infrastructure with a particular focus on platform technologies, facilities, laboratories and internal capabilities
• Supporting the continued protection, creation and expansion of the company's intellectual property
• Representing the company with scientific agencies, globally addressing the scientific aspects of the company's research and product development
• Effectively managing a cost budget and delivering results based on predetermined performance goals
We would be thrilled if you brought the following with you:
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Biological or Chemical Engineering, Molecular & Cell biology, or related discipline with 10 years of industrial experience
- Strong external presence/network and an ability to create and communicate a strong research vision and strategy in a compelling and inspirational manner to a range of audiences, both internally and externally
• Demonstrated success in attracting, developing, and retaining world-class scientific talent
• Working knowledge of the regulatory requirements for the development and approval of protein therapeutics globally
• A excellent record of developing and maintaining relationships with key academic leaders and investigators in relevant scientific and therapeutic fields.
• Proven ability in collaborating effectively within cross-functional teams
• Excellent analytical, communication, organizational and presentation skills
• Ability to deliver in a timeline-driven, fast-paced, start-up environment
• Commitment to a high-performance, patient & people-first culture, where there is alignment around a common vision and individuals are supported in their growth path
• Willingness to be both a strategic leader and a hands-on problem solver
• Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task in an extremely fast-paced environment with changing priorities while maintaining attention to detail
• Clear and succinct verbal and written communication skills
• Strong analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills
• Ability to influence others and work independently and in a team environment
• Strong execution skills; operates with a high level of enthusiasm and integrity
• Ability to operate effectively in a fast-moving, entrepreneurial, science-driven and dynamic team environment.
Successful leaders and contributors within Magenta are:
- Driven. You will be focused on the achievement of Magenta's mission and major corporate goals.
- Results-focused. Demonstrated record of exceeding stretch goals, and willing to bring creative problem-solving skills to challenges along the way
- Intuitive. You will enjoy learning and being involved in the content of our whole business, thriving on a very fast-paced and growing business
- Collaborative. You will have demonstrated the ability to achieve objectives across complex projects and organizational structures
- Process-oriented, yet flexible. You will appreciate and be able to create and drive process, while also recognizing when flexibility is needed.
- Transparent and Articulate. You will have the ability to communicate clearly and concisely with all stakeholders
- Independent. You will be able to self-organize and operate effectively without significant day-to-day oversight, while staying tightly connected to key leaders and teams across the company
- A role model for the company's cultural pillars; Courage Commitment & Excellence