Regional Associate Director Field Medical,, Melanoma/GU-East
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
Regional Associate Director (RAD) US Field Medical
RAD acts with the highest standards of integrity in a dynamic manner leading a high performing field-based team and providing input to medical planning that support the safe and effective use of our medicines by patients, physicians and payers through:
Leading and Managing Field Medical (FM) Team
• Active member of the Field Medical leadership/ management team, within and across therapeutic areas (TA).
• Identifies talent, conducts robust interview process for selecting highly qualified Field Medical (FM) and other Medical personnel, and fills vacancies expeditiously.
• Defines and effectively implements key talent retention strategies.
• Ensures new staff attend new hire on-boarding and complete required therapeutic and administrative training programs within established timelines.
• Translates FM objectives into individual performance goals for direct reports and helps define performance goals.
• Develops an annual development plan with each direct report; tracks progress toward and supports the execution of the plan through identification of opportunities.
• Develops appropriate succession plan.
• Drives and tracks performance of FM team members and ensures objectives are met by regional FM team.
• Effectively provides consistent coaching, mentoring, and frequent feedback to direct reports, and others, as appropriate; documents behavioral observations and performance as directed and/or as needed.
• Conducts all company directed performance assessments with reports and actively participates in talent conversations.
• Promotes a culture of innovation, constructive challenge, team spirit and accountability within the region that is patient-centric.
• Creates and encourages an environment that stresses open, candid and timely feedback relative to performance and behaviors.
• Provides training and direction to FM team members on developing appropriate peer-to-peer scientific engagement.
• Identifies and communicates skills/knowledge gaps among FM personnel (and at national level) to the FM Lead and FM Trainer; and outlines plan to address with skill-building approaches.
• It is anticipated that a RAD will spend the majority of their time in the field with their team and external customers. Additional requirements based on Region assignment and team needs.
Disease Area Reference Point
• Continuously updates and monitors team knowledge of Disease Area (DA), patient treatment trends, product data and scientific activities.
• Ensures participation of team in planned therapeutic training activities.
• Ensures FM engages in timely exchanges with external customers and internal partners in accordance with compliance policies and procedures to communicate medical information for all products in an accurate, balanced, fair and objective manner.
Expert Contributor To Internal Partners
• Coordinates regional scientific support consistent with FM Plans in alignment with high priority regional business needs.
• Provides strategic input and insights as part of compliant collaboration across the matrix in support of account management.
• Promotes effective working relationships with internal partners including cross-matrix field leadership. Establishes effective cross-functional work practices [in co-marketed product arrangements].
• Ensures appropriate regional management of speaker lists and speaker program support (if applicable).
• Contributes FM expertise to regional accounts aligned to Brand and Medical strategy.
External Expert Manager
• Maintains strong knowledge of regional and national External Experts to provide input into planning, matrix initiatives, and requests for TL information.
• Ensures FM team captures and communicates relevant medical insights; provides insight updates across the matrix as appropriate; contributes to development/implementation of action plans resulting from key insights.
• Supports FM team in developing strong networks with External Experts.
• Review/Approval of MyList.
Customer Centric Focus and Medical insights
• Uses active listening to understand customer needs and promote focused communication while ensuring appropriate two-way engagement with customers.
Medical Planning/Strategy (RAD BRAND LIAISON)
Medical Plan & Strategy Contribution
• Participates as an active member of the Medical matrix team.
• Communicates information to regional team and ensures execution of Medical Strategies, Objectives and FM Plans within boundaries established by regulatory and legal compliance in accordance with company policies and sound ethical practices.
• Engages in appropriate collaboration with the region sales and access matrix teams to share geographical and healthcare provider information within compliance boundaries.
• Collaborates with US (+/- Global) Medical and Commercial colleagues on Brand planning and FM activities.
• Develops the Product FM Plan for the team in collaboration with the FM TA Lead.
• Develops Region level Field Medical Plans in alignment with national FM plan and US Medical strategies and objectives.
• Inputs into Medical Products Plans and Strategies based on analysis of medical literature and FM input.
• Develops and maintains effective working relationships with Matrix team members.
Scientific Material Contribution & Review
• Assesses, identifies and contributes to resolution of gaps in FM resources; collaborates with the Field Medical Communication Specialist (FMCS), TA point, Medical Information and Medical Strategy on development of appropriate FM scientific resources.
• Collaborates with FMCS, FM Trainers, TA point and Medical Strategy for development and implementation of the therapeutic training plan for the DA and associated product(s).
Clinical Trial/Site Identification & Support
• Ensures that the role of FM in the submission process of investigators' proposals for clinical trials is completed in accordance with Company policies, and applicable law, regulations, and ethical standards.
• Ensures active participation of FM in providing input on clinical trial site selection and feasibility based on their knowledge of investigators in their geography.
• Ensures FM team's execution of clinical trial support activities (as per established study scope documents).
• Ensures that FM team has the required knowledge to identify Adverse Events (AEs) and fully understand and comply with BMS Pharmacovigilance SOPs regarding identification and reporting timelines.
• Contributes to managing external communication when significant safety issues arise, with the well-being of patients being the goal.
Fundamental to the Role: Compliance
• Understands and adheres to the BMS Standards of Business Conduct and Ethics, all Company policies and procedures including those that apply to all employees and those that are specific to the role of FM.
• Understands PhRMA Code, ICH, GCP, and relevant FDA laws and regulations.
• Completes and certifies understanding of all required training; Ensures adherence by team.
• Identifies additional procedural training for self and team aligned with activities as needed.
• Conveys a clear message on laws, regulations, and ethical standards to both internal and external customers; acts as a peer influencer and role model.
• Attainment of advanced degree in medical science (Pharm D, M.D., or Ph.D.) preferred.
• Minimum of 8 years of clinical and/or pharmaceutical experience INCLUDING a minimum of 4 years of FM experience
• Demonstrated ability to lead national field medical projects or initiatives.
• Work in cross-functional teams with proven track record managing multiple projects and priorities.
• Track record of effectively managing risk and compliance.
• Work in a matrix environment with ability to succeed in an ambiguous environment.
• Experience coaching and mentoring within a FM organization.
• Leading and executing autonomously.
• Communicating scientific and/or clinical data to researchers and/or HCPs.
• Building credible, scientifically-oriented relationships with External Experts within the DA and clinical practice leaders/access decision makers.
• Quickly and comprehensively learn about new subject areas and healthcare environments.
• In-depth knowledge of DA, including key scientific publications.
• ASMART principles in goal setting.
• Clear understanding of customer (HCP and payer) and patient needs.
• Knowledge of principles and implications of pharmacoeconomic data.
• Knowledge of the US Healthcare System and the Pharmaceutical Industry; Understanding of environmental and industry trends (e.g. Market Access and Patient Advocacy) and their impact on the business.
• Knowledge of regional key institutions/IDNs/Health Systems
• Knowledge of clinical trial design, process and procedures required for clinical activities.
• Knowledge of all relevant compliance standards.
• Strong communication and presentation skills, in spoken and written word; Able to effectively communicate/ listen and answer questions.
• Appreciation of the complexities of cross-functional and joint venture management issues.
• Demonstrated technical acumen including MS Office skills, ability to adopt and leverage multiple business applications.
Behaviors and Leadership Capabilities Desired
• Consistently model ALL core BMS behaviors (innovation, accountability, speed, and passion)
• Exemplify principles of integrity and honesty. Seen as a trusted colleague to team members and internal/external customers and management.
• Possess change agility and a positive attitude during time of transition and takes time to motivate others. Serve as a change agent.
• Offer innovation via a growth mindset. Continuously identify unmet medical needs and opportunities for process improvement. Provide specific, objective, actionable, and time-sensitive solutions. Participate in/lead projects to affect positive change related to above.
• Actively engage in live meetings and teleconferences. Lead the discussion and contribute to substantive dialogue.
• Demonstrate excellence with all administrative aspects of the job, train and share best practices.
• Consistently apply the enterprise approach/act with enterprise mindset.
• Apply principles of inclusion and diversity when managing team; leads with authenticity.
Create opportunities for others within and outside of own team to develop new skills and experiences. Sees setbacks and failures as an opportunity to learn and grow.
• Possess a winning attitude, know and communicates what it takes to win, and consistently commits to a standard of excellence and the achievement of superior results.
• Foster open, candid communication and collaboration within own region and across other regions to achieve medical and business objectives.
• Experience working with different functions and teams (ex: Medical Strategy, Global Development & Medical, Sales and Marketing matrix teams); Understanding the business value that appropriate Medical support can provide within an integrated cross functional team.
• Experience leading and managing teams.
• Introduction to management and leadership concepts and tools.
• Effective feedback and coaching skills.
• Ability to motivate a high performing team toward the achievement of tangible objectives.
• Ability to train and mentor. Build skills in people and develop leaders.
• Develop detailed knowledge of customer and patient needs through attending expert Healthcare meetings in the field, as agreed with manager.
• Develop in-depth knowledge of product within Disease Area.
• Lead project teams and present results to senior management.
• Ability to assume a leadership position regionally.
• Develop and implement regional medical business plan.
• Exposure to medical science planning and implementation across regions and other TAs.
• Experience to managing speaker selection and training process.
• Exposure to compliance requirements (SOPs, GCP, and ICH).
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.