Principal Scientist, Medicinal Chemistry
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. Our team is working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
The Impact You’ll Make
- Build - In partnership with biologists, data scientists and others you will build projects across therapeutic models designed to translate phenotypic screening hits to preclinical assets with quality and speed.
- Lead - As our company continues to grow, you will be part of a nimble, highly efficient chemistry team. You will lead cross-functional drug discovery projects and medicinal chemistry efforts.
- Collaborate - Work in a cross-functional matrix organization with biologists, chemists, data scientists, and engineers with a passion for drug discovery.
- Communicate - Independently prepare impactful presentations for senior leaders and partners to allow for informed data-based decision making.
- Achieve - Understand the critical path and provide high-quality results.
The Team You’ll Join
Reporting to our VP of Chemistry as a Principal Scientist, you will be a leader within the discovery organization partnering with others to build and advance the portfolio of preclinical small molecule NCE and repurposed assets. You will use your depth and breadth of understanding of the preclinical discovery process to help build efficient operating plans to capitalize on Recursion’s AI-enabled high throughput phenotypic screening platform. You will work in a highly matrixed organization to advance molecules from hit identification to lead series and ultimately to candidate status. Your skills will be of high value as you work cross functionally internally, with external stakeholders and contract chemistry FTEs.
The Experience You’ll Need
- PhD in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry.
- >8 years pharma experience in medicinal chemistry drug discovery with a strong record of productivity as demonstrated by publications/patents.
- Expertise in synthetic organic chemistry (experience working with CROs a plus).
- Chemistry team leadership experience advancing hits to leads and candidate status.
- A thorough understanding of drug design principles, DMPK, tox, etc.
- Experience mentoring other chemists and cross functional partners.
The Benefits/Perks You’ll Enjoy
- 100% Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter)
- Flexible vacation/sick leave
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Onsite daycare facility*
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute*
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars*
- Fully-paid gym membership to Metro Fitness, located just feet away from our headquarters*
- One-of-a-kind 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking*
*Subject to change for remote-based employees during the COVID-19 pandemic
More About Us
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. Recursion does this by combining automation, artificial intelligence, machine learning, in vivo validation capabilities and a highly cross-functional team to discover novel medicines that expand our collective understanding of biology. Recursion’s rich, relatable database of over 4 petabytes of biological images generated in-house on the company’s robotics platform enables advanced machine learning approaches to reveal drug candidates, mechanisms of action, novel chemistry, and potential toxicity, with the eventual goal of decoding biology and advancing new therapeutics that radically improve people’s lives. Recursion is proudly headquartered in Salt Lake City.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.