Research Scientist Contractor
>16 Employees & Founded in 2019 / Delaware Incorporated, Based in La Jolla, CA
Who We Are
PetDx is venture-backed San Diego based genomics/molecular diagnostics startup focused on the development of breakthrough non-invasive tests for the early detection, characterization, and management of cancer in pets. We have a highly innovative approach to the science, with assays that are customized for the canine genome and innovative next-generation sequencing (NGS) based techniques. We aim to revolutionize the detection and ultimately treatment of cancer for pets.
The Company’s founding team and advisors include more than a dozen former senior executives from Illumina, Sequenom, PGDx, LabCorp, Pathway Genomics, J&J, Zoetis, Elanco, Mars Petcare, VCA, and more. Most of them hold MD, PhD, MS, DVM, or MBA degrees, and have been affiliated with prestigious academic institutions including Cornell, Harvard, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Stanford, UCSF, UCLA, University of Michigan, UC Berkeley, UCSD, University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, Yale and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
We are looking for a Research Scientist Contractor who will support the laboratory development, experimentation, and management of innovative multi-omic assays for novel applications in Oncology. Flexible hours, including evenings and weekends available.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
At our Company, you will help execute multi-omic assay technologies, SOPs, and laboratory workflows used to analyze samples, including isolation of nucleic acids (DNA/RNA) from banked biospecimens and QC. You will handle biospecimens in a molecular diagnostic setting with separate areas of pre-PCR and post-PCR procedures rooms. You will support sample accessioning, processing and storage workflow. You will perform production-scale NGS library preparation for DNA/RNA sequencing. You will operate high-throughput liquid handler to handle large cohorts of samples. You may be working during evenings and weekends to help the team reach overall product development timeline. You will perform quality control and quality assurance procedures, and tracking and managing data within our LIMS and Confluence systems. You will operate under the direction of the Head of Assay Development. This role requires meticulous recordkeeping, excellent attention to detail, and the ability to multi-task and be flexible with assignments and schedules.
What you bring:
- BS and/or MS (or equivalent industry experience) in molecular biology, biochemistry, genetics, chemistry, or a closely related field.
- 2-5 years of experience in a high-complexity molecular diagnostics laboratory setting in industry or academia.
- Broad knowledge of molecular biology techniques, including general nucleic acid extraction (DNA/RNA), sample QC on Tapestation, Bioanalyzer or Qubit. Experience with PCR library preparation for next generation sequencing and sequencing platforms (including Illumina NextSeq and NovaSeq).
- Experience with sample accessioning and processing workflow.
- Experience with physically separated pre-PCR and Post-PCR workflow for molecular diagnostics.
- Experience with handling blood plasma samples and cell-free nucleic acids is preferred
- Understanding of basic molecular biology concept such as basis of the human genome, cancer genomics, cancer biology and cell biology.
- Ability to design for automated platforms in plate-based, low-volume formats and/or microfluidics and experience working with automated liquid handlers.
- Hands-on proficiency in managing technology transfer requirements, including guard-banding, stability studies, and in-process quality control
- Excellent time management, project management, multitasking and organizational skills.
- Practical knowledge of LIMS/database query tools (preferred).
- Skill conducting quantitative-PCR (optional).
The position is based in San Diego.
How To Apply
- Please click "Apply" and submit statements of interest, resume and background materials