Senior Molecular Geneticist
Senior Molecular Geneticist
About Central Coast Agriculture:
Headquartered north of Santa Barbara in the heart of the Santa Ynez Valley, CCA is a company focused on utilizing science and sustainability to grow quality, modern crops. Our unmatched commitment to innovating both organic farming and modern manufacturing means our customers have access to products that exceed expectations.
We are a team of change makers, modern farmers, scientists, and business professionals focused on leading the charge for agricultural innovation.
About The Role:
As a Senior Molecular Geneticist, you will play a highly collaborative role within a scientifically diverse R&D team. You will be the subject matter expert in Cannabis genomics, marker association studies, and marker assay design. You will collaborate with the Breeding, Genomics, Chemistry, and Process Development teams to collect data in appropriate formats to achieve Team goals. Data collection will also need to be considered in the context of a long-term strategic plan for data archival, access, and mining. This individual will be responsible for bringing improved productivity to the R&D Teams by improving efficiency of data collection and improving insights from these datasets.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with the Breeding Team to design lab and field trials to generate marker-trait associations.
- Collaborate with the Breeding Team and Bioinformatics team to design qPCR assays for discovered DNA markers
- Develop in house LAMP, Taqman and KASP qPCR assays for traits of interest
- Validate genetic markers from mapping studies using qPCR genotyping.
- Recover high mw genomic DNA for NGS applications from leaf tissue.
- Recover qPCR-grade DNA from leaf hole punches.
- Replicate currently available marker assays.
- Generate, organize, and visualize, and communicate genotype data.
- Achieve high-throughput scalability of screens.
- Screen breeding samples for desired markers and return data to stakeholders within a fast, actionable time frame.
- DNA fingerprint clonally propagated mothers and perform genotyping QA for the Nursery clone program.
- Evaluate utility of doubled haploid and triploid breeding schemes.
- Determine causal variation for high value traits.
- Sequence pathogen microbiomes and design qPCR quantification assays.
- Develop and draft documentations and SOPs for new processes.
- Identify equipment, space, and utility requirements to set-up both hardware and software to support R&D.
- Perform all other duties as assigned or inherent to the position .
- Prioritize work in a fast-paced environment to limit downtime and keep operations moving.
- Ensure that safety is first priority in everything you do.
- Maintain professionalism and live CCA’s core values at all times.
What You'll Need to Have
· Position Requirements:
- Advanced degree (MS/PhD) in relevant discipline or Bachelors degree with 5+ years relevant work experience.
- A combination of relevant Biological Science and Computer Science education highly desired. Molecular Biology, Biology, Genetics, Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related disciplines.
- Experience with genomic datasets.
- Experience creating marker assays for a breeding program at an agricultural company.
- Experience creating, refining & managing processes end-to-end.
- Proficiency with data entry, running analyses and creating reports.
- Statistical process control skills and use of statistical analysis software.
- Project management experience; able to take a project from start to finish with minimal supervision.
- Strong analytical skills. Demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and prioritize work while multitasking.
- Demonstrate motivation and a good work ethic under minimal supervision.
- Constantly questioning the way things are done in a constructive manner and thrives on change that improves results.
- Effective leadership and strategic influencing skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at one time.
- Expert user of Microsoft Office and Google’s G suite.
- This Scientist will work with the highest attention to detail and data integrity. The qualified candidate will be highly collaborative and have excellent interpersonal skills
- Must be 21 years of age (or older) at the time of hire.
- Proficiency of the English language, verbal and written format.
- Competitive base salary
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Vacation and Holidays