Senior Data Scientist/Bioinformaticist
Senior Data Scientist/Bioinformaticist
About Central Coast Agriculture:
Headquartered north of Santa Barbara in the heart of the Santa Ynez Valley, CCA is a company focused on utilizing science and sustainability to grow quality, modern crops. Our unmatched commitment to innovating both organic farming and modern manufacturing means our customers have access to products that exceed expectations.
We are a team of change makers, modern farmers, scientists, and business professionals focused on leading the charge for agricultural innovation.
About The Role:
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will play a highly collaborative role within a scientifically diverse R&D team. You will be the subject matter expert in data structure, processing and analysis. You will collaborate with the Breeding, Genomics, Chemistry, Engineering, and Process Development teams to collect data in appropriate formats to achieve Team goals. Data collection will also need to be considered in the context of a long-term strategic plan for data archival, access, and mining. This individual will be responsible for bringing improved productivity to the R&D Teams by improving efficiency of data collection and improving insights from these datasets.
What You'll Do
- Data analysis – Work closely with Breeding, Genomics, Chemistry to analyze experimental data and report out results
- Identify and implement a data architecture solution and platform(s) suitable for Breeding, Genomics, Chemistry, Engineering, and Process Development teams’ needs for data archival, retrieval, mining, and reporting.
- Identify and/or develop software for data mining of large datasets. These datasets will include genomic sequence information, plant phenotype, and chemical profiling data.
- Collaborate with R&D Teams on experimental design to ensure compatible data structure and adequate statistical power is employed in all studies
- Develop classification algorithms and model data
- Develop and draft documentations and SOPs for new processes
- Identify equipment, space, and utility requirements to set-up both hardware and software to support R&D
- Identify opportunities where data solutions developed for the R&D Team can be used in Manufacturing to improve process and production efficiencies.
- Perform all other duties as assigned or inherent to the position
- Prioritize work in a fast-paced environment to limit downtime and keep operations moving.
- Ensure that safety is first priority in everything you do.
- Maintain professionalism and live CCA’s core values at all times
What You'll Need to Have
· Position Requirements:
- Advanced degree (MS/PhD) in relevant discipline or Bachelors degree with 5+ years relevant work experience.
- A combination of relevant Computer Science and Biological Science education highly desired. Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Applied Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computational Biology, Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, Computer Science or related disciplines
- Experience with large data sets. Experience with genomic datasets a plus.
- Experience creating, refining & managing processes end-to-end
- Proficiency with data entry, running analyses and creating reports
- Statistical process control skills and use of statistical analysis software
- Project management experience; able to take a project from start to finish with minimal supervision
- Strong analytical skills. Demonstrate attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and prioritize work while multitasking.
- Demonstrate motivation and a good work ethic under minimal supervision.
- Constantly questioning the way things are done in a constructive manner and thrives on change that improves results.
- Effective leadership and strategic influencing skills.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects at one time.
- Expert user of Microsoft Office and Google’s G suite.
- This Scientist will work with the highest attention to detail and data integrity. The qualified candidate will be highly collaborative and have excellent interpersonal skills
- Must be 21 years of age (or older) at the time of hire.
- Proficiency of the English language, verbal and written format.
- Competitive base salary
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Vacation and Holidays