Associate Director, Calico Program Management
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
- Provide strategic recommendations to Calico Sr leadership for resources, capacity & prioritization
- In partnership with Calico and AbbVie departments builds processes and capacity to sustain Calico workflows
- Enable streamlined issue resolution throughout the Calico portfolio of projects
- Effectively frames complex issues for decision-makers and peers. Prepares and delivers effective management presentations to R&D leadership team. Draws upon personal knowledge of business processes, global regulations, organizational improvement methods, and communication mechanisms to propose and design innovative organizational improvements.
- Coordinate and lead strategic analyses and exercises for the Collaboration head. Investigates pain points and proposes solutions for implementation. Helps to define the problem, assemble the team, perform the necessary strategic analysis, and recommend actions to the senior leaders.
- Provide forward looking portfolio and resource analyses. Accountable for short- and long-term forecasting of financial and headcount resource needs in various scenarios.
- Acts with demonstrated ability to analyze complex change management issues and opportunities, foster innovation and the development of creative mechanisms for solving business issues, and plan/oversee effective implementation of projects and/or initiatives.
- Manage the acquisition, organization, control, dissemination and use of Calico Portfolio information. Effectively organize and present data, lead selected meetings, summarize key information and actions from meetings, maintain project history using various software programs, and to interact with scientists, department leaders, project leaders, and senior leaders across multiple sites and functions.
- Seek, implement, and maintain tools to archive, visualize and track projects in the Calico Portfolio to create transparency between project teams and enable management to effectively balance and prioritize portfolio initiatives. Responsible for tracking and execution of area projects.
- Leads and oversees the strategic planning and execution of the area All Staff meetings and strategic planning sessions. Coordinate and set agenda for Sr. Staff meetings and strategic extended staff forums. Drive preparation and follow-up actions across the therapeutic area or function.
- PhD or equivalent & 10+ years, MS or equivalent & 12+ years, or BS & 14+ years postdoc/industry experience, including 7+ years of leadership responsibility, is required. Advanced degree in related scientific field preferred (e.g., MS or Ph.D. in Oncology, Chemistry, etc.). MBA or Project Management Institute (PMI) Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
- 6+ years of work experience in the area supported (e.g. Discovery, Development) and 6+ years in pharmaceutical, healthcare or regulated industry required.
- Strong management skills with proven effective leadership abilities. Demonstrated ability to lead multi-divisional and multi-functional teams with global aspects.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience in managing functional budgets and developing budget forecasts
- Strong business acumen and effective negotiation skills
- Experience working in a complex and matrix environment
- Demonstrated ability to craft compelling business cases that prompt appropriate action.
- Proven track record of developing and executing change management strategies or successful project planning and management of highly complex business and technology initiatives is preferred
Significant Work Activities
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.