We are looking for a talented molecular biologist and biochemist to work on Abalone Bio’s yeast-based antibody discovery technology platform. Projects will include antibody discovery, optimization, production and characterization with in vitro and in vivo assays.
We are looking for someone who:
- Thrives in a dynamic and demanding startup atmosphere
- Loves handling multiple projects
- Manages time and prioritizes well
- Keeps careful records
- Is enthusiastic and self-driven
- Relates well and productively with others
Someone aligned with our core values:
- Empathy Listen actively, assume goodness
- Collaboration Solve problems together
- Honesty Be sincere and open
- Kindness Be generous and considerate
- Gratefulness Value the opportunity to do good
- Continuous improvement Become a little better every day
What do we offer?
An exciting science environment, led by accomplished scientist founders. An ambitious project that delivers a new class of antibody drugs with enormous potential. A supportive first-rate research team.
- Competitive compensation and benefits.
- Salary commensurate with qualifications, and stock options.
- Health, dental and vision coverage, medical and parental leave, vacation and a retirement plan.
Our facilities are in Emeryville, in the San Francisco Bay Area.
The Scientist will join a 6-8 person cross-functional R&D team.
At least weekly, the full team discusses experimental results, future plans and priorities.
Managers regularly hold one-on-one meetings to hear every team member’s concerns and thoughts, discuss and set clear expectations, and provide constructive feedback.
Work in the time of COVID: We have the privilege of being considered essential workers. We take the safety of our team and our responsibilities to the outside community seriously. We have just moved into a 5,000 square foot private space in Emeryville, CA that we laid out with COVID-19 risk mitigation in mind. The lab spaces are partitioned into smaller rooms for 1-3 people. We have also designated a number of small private spaces for team members to relax without a mask, and we are building more.
- PhD degree
- Extensive, hands-on recombinant DNA experience
- 5 or more years of hands-on wet lab experience
Areas of expertise:
The ideal candidate has substantial first-hand experience in all of these areas:
- Classical and modern genetic and strain engineering techniques (cloning, Gibson, CRISPR, in vivo homologous recombination, etc.), ideally in S. cerevisiae
- Yeast functional assays, including growth, microscopy and flow cytometry
- Biochemical assays (ELISAs, other plate-based kits and assays)
- Antibody library design; antibody engineering, production, and purification
- GPCR signaling, G proteins, and related science
Additional experience in the following is strongly preferred:
- Recombinant protein purification and analysis
- Mammalian cell culture, engineering, and cell-based assays
- Antibody discovery techniques, especially phage or yeast surface display
- Bioinformatics, NGS sequencing and analysis.
- Computational skills, including data analysis using R or Python; shell scripting; development of new computational workflows
Job Description And Specific Responsibilities: