Engineer IV - Biomaterials
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Envision working with energetic colleagues and inspirational leaders. Now, place yourself in that mix; leading discussions, asking the right questions and driving results. AbbVie is always striving to find top scientists to work at our Irvine, CA site
Engineer IV Biomaterials - Irvine, CA
What your manager wants you to know:
"I'm looking for an Engineer who understand how to develop a product from bench to pilot scale and is willing to work hard both in the development lab and during the planning phases of the project. If you are self-motivated, proactive, a team player and willing to learn, please forward me your resume. AbbVie is great because we hire the best talent and we truly believe in investing in each and every one of our colleagues."
Allergan Aesthetics R&D, Drug Delivery & Biomaterials, is seeking a highly curious, motivated, organized and innovative candidate for the role of Engineer IV Biomaterials. The ideal candidate for this position will
Develops and scales up manufacturing of biomaterials based products for use in next generation aesthetics and implant products via synthesis, formulation, fabrication, and characterization of candidates with aim of achieving targeted bulk and surface properties.
YOU ARE: Be a trusted and expert scientific partner.
- Under general direction, responsible for implementing complex materials engineering projects
- Actively works in a team environment. Frequent communication is essential and must interface with colleagues in Biomaterials Development, Analytical Services, Product Development, Commercial and Cell & Tissue areas. Will remain as "internal consultant" as technology moves into commercial manufacturing. May be responsible for supporting raw material efforts in choosing potential suppliers, qualifying incoming lots, developing proper analytical assays, and drafting of specifications.
- Organizes, schedules and participates in project team meetings to define and schedule project activities and review completed tasks. Communicates project status to supervisor, project team leader, other research managers, and R&D committees as appropriate. Prepares time and cost estimates of project activities for review by manager to achieve realistic project completion dates.
- Attends and participates in scientific meetings as Allergan's representative to gain knowledge about new products or technologies pertinent to corporate business interest. Reviews and evaluates current technical and trade literature in order to maintain and extend technical competence. Communicates new compound, product, and technology related ideas to supervisor and other research managers to maintain and enhance Allergan's position in the market place.
- Writes, reviews and issues technical reports, technical memoranda and other documents for internal and external distribution. Generates ROI's and works closely with Allergan patent counsel in generating IP documentation.
- Monitor group costs. Initiate personnel actions, including employee hires, promotions, transfers and discharges. Create and present employee evaluations, subject to the approval of the department Director. Assess subordinate employee training needs and conduct or recommend training as necessary. Administer employee disciplinary actions as the situation requires.
Have understanding and experience related to thermodynamics/heat exchange as it relates to chemical reactor synthesis and scale up, experience related to sterile filtration and mixing of solutions under GMP conditions, hands on experience with large scale automated filling of syringes/vials under ISO5 conditions, understanding of the manufacturing scale up process from bench to pilot scale as it relates to medical devices, wide application of technical principles, theories, and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines.
Ability to manage various aspects of R&D from product concept to product launch, read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical journals and procedures and governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, documentation and procedures.
Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers or technical peer groups, comprehend and apply principles of advanced math and statistical theory (i.e. t-tests, f-tests, tolerance limits)
Ability to analysis drawing for dimensions, tolerance and interfit investigations, and conformance to ANSI Y14.5. Ability to maintain accuracy, consistency and quality of documentation while adhering to company deadlinesAbility to learn and function in a controlled environment regulated by FDA GMPs and handle confidential data.
B.S, M. S. or Ph.D degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or related field. A minimum of 7+ (B.S) or 4+ (M.S) years industrial or post-graduate experience is a must. Experience in one or more of the following technology areas is essential: scale up from bench to pilot scale for clinical trials, large scale chemical synthesis and related thermodynamics, aseptic processing of solutions under GMP conditions including sterile filtration/mixing/syringe filling, implantable biomaterial hydrogels.
ABBVIE LEADERSHIP SKILLS:
- Excellence Focused
- Open and Authentic
- Ownership Thinker
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.