Senior Research Assistant
We are looking for a Senior Research Assistant with post-graduate, full-time experience in biotech (1 year minimum). The SRA will optimize and use Abalone Bio’s yeast-based antibody discovery technology platform to find antibody drug candidates, and work to optimize and characterize antibodies with in vitro and in vivo assays.
We are looking for someone who:
- Thrives in a dynamic and demanding startup atmosphere
- Loves handling multiple projects
- Manages time and prioritizes well
- Keeps careful records
- Is enthusiastic and self-driven
- Relates well and productively with others
Someone aligned with our core values:
- Empathy Listen actively, assume goodness
- Collaboration Solve problems together
- Honesty Be sincere and open
- Kindness Be generous and considerate
- Gratefulness Value the opportunity to do good
- Continuous improvement Become a little better every day
What do we offer?
An exciting science environment, led by accomplished scientist founders. An ambitious project that delivers a new class of antibody drugs with enormous potential. A supportive first-rate research team.
Competitive compensation and benefits.
Salary commensurate with qualifications, and stock options.
Health, dental and vision coverage, medical and parental leave, vacation and a retirement plan.
Our facilities are in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area (currently in Richmond, moving to Emeryville Fall 2020).
The Research Associate will join a 6-8 person cross-functional R&D team.
At least weekly, the full team discusses experimental results, future plans and priorities.
Managers regularly hold one-on-one meetings to hear every team member’s concerns and thoughts, discuss and set clear expectations, and provide constructive feedback.
- BS or BA degree.
- At least 1 year of post-graduate, full-time biotech industry experience.
- 3 or more years of hands-on bench work experience.
- Strong background in molecular biology and recombinant DNA technology, including extensive hands on experience and skills with DNA software.
Areas of expertise:
In addition to the above requirements, candidates must have substantial first-hand experience in at least two of these areas:
- Microbial strain DNA engineering, including generation of DNA constructs by recombination, Gibson assembly, CRISPR and genomic homologous recombination.
- Antibody discovery and or engineering, especially use of phage or yeast surface display; antibody library design and construction and design, production and purification of antibody variants.
- Data analysis using R, Python or similar shell-scripting computational tools.
Additional experience in several of the following is strongly preferred:
- Recombinant protein purification and analysis
- Mammalian cell culture and engineering.
- Yeast and mammalian cell-based assays, microscopy, and flow cytometry
- Biochemical assays (e.g. ELISAs and other plate-based assays)
- Bioinformatics, NGS sequencing and analysis.
Job Description And Specific Responsibilities:
- Incorporate drug target receptors into yeast-based discovery platform and optimize for antibody discovery
- Perform yeast cell-based selections for functional antibodies
- Characterize hits from selections using yeast-based assays
- Design, construct, and characterize antibody libraries in yeast and E. coli
- Produce recombinant antibodies in E. coli, yeast and/or mammalian cells
- Make mammalian cell lines and implement mammalian cell-based assays (ERK, cAMP, IP3, internalization)
- Generate and analyze NGS data for identification of functional antibody hits
- Contribute to lab operation