Principal Plant Engineer
The Principal Plant Engineer I, I&C will provide engineering subject matter expertise for Instrumentation and Controls Systems delivering new technologies in automation/instrumentation solutions; define minimum standards for instrumentation hardware and software components. New technologies shall include Emerson and Allen Bradley hardware and software. This will also include continual improvement of existing equipment to meet manufacturing, quality, performance and safety requirements.
Provide engineering technical subject matter expertise related to the maintenance, installation, startup/commissioning, testing, and qualification of automation systems for process equipment, process related systems, and infrastructure equipment within a biopharmaceutical manufacturing facility.
Provide subject matter expertise for calibration frequency and revisions. Assists reliability analysis team to determine calibration and part strategies. Based on expertise, history, and reliability analysis results. Perform calibration reviews, calibration modifications; investigate instrumentation trends, failure defense identification and planning, work process improvements, and setup of calibration metrics.
This position will serve as a discipline subject matter expertise Lead or Lead on assigned projects or performs critically complex engineering assignments, evaluates, selects, and applies good engineering practice techniques to a broad set of complex assignments.
Control and instrumentation are about efficiency and safety. As a control and instrumentation engineer, you will be responsible for researching, designing and developing new systems and devices which will be used to control, monitor and regulate industrial processes and operations. This may involve aspects of both software engineering and hardware engineering.
Furthermore, you will be the site matter expert responsible for site I&C availability, standardization, reliability and maintenance costs reduction through system and process continuous improvements across the site and PGS network, i.e., LEAN principles and Continuous Improvement methodology.
The Principal Plant Engineer I, I&C works in a team-based environment and is responsible for:
- Job requirements will involve the ability to troubleshoot multiple platform automation systems, with a focus on Allen-Bradley PLC's and Emerson DeltaV control systems.
- The ability to support commissioning plans, validation/qualification documents, execution of commissioning plans, troubleshooting, executing the qualification activities, assisting maintenance, attending necessary meetings and maintaining specific training requirements.
- Skilled at the use of Enterprise systems like QTS (Quality Tracking System), EAMS (Enterprise Asset Management System).
- Applying technical and quality concepts, applicable guidelines of the FDA or other regulatory bodies and relevant SOPs.
- The position will require equipment maintenance/instrumentation history review, investigation and audit support.
- Promoting the utilization of instrumentation and automation technology to increase the overall equipment effectiveness, increase production unit performance, reduce maintenance activities and lower overall total maintenance costs.
- Assisting maintenance technicians and production with troubleshooting and diagnostics.
- Working with maintenance personnel and departmental resources to develop, design and ensure the reliability and maintainability of new and modified installations.
- Developing a life cycle asset management program for the site instrumentation and field mounted control elements.
- Working with process control engineers, process engineers and production team members to identify and implement new instrumentation and control strategies to increase product yields, reduce energy usage and optimize manufacturing processes.
- Coaching and mentoring operations and technical personnel on the concepts and use of various forms of instrumentation technology.
- Generating and championing new Industrial Automation instrumentation improvement projects which enhance unit operation, effectiveness, quality or operability.
- Working with the PCS engineers to maintain the control system hardware.
- Prepare P&IDs (piping and instrumentation diagrams), process control narratives, instrument lists and I/O (input/output) lists as part of project design and ongoing maintenance; and prepare specifications and associated bid documents including cost estimates, schedules, and transition plans.
- Develop and implement strategies and methods that improve calibration processes and procedures resulting in enhanced instrumentation performance.
- Technically support all aspects of calibration operations while ensuring compliance with SOPs, cGMPs, safety procedures, quality standards, OSHA standards, other regulatory agency standards, good maintenance practices, and corporate initiatives.
- Improve I/C equipment performance / capabilities by conducting equipment/instrument design feasibility study and implementing improvement methods to reduce downtime, minimize waste, optimize maintenance resources, and improve maintenance methods.
- Resolve I/C equipment performance issues by facilitating discussions with cross functional team to identify / define and root cause the problem, evaluate alternative solutions, and develop action plans.
- Recommend I/C equipment optimizing initiative by discussing operation needs or involving in new project installation / commissioning, HAZOP, PSSR activities.
- Optimize I/C equipment maintainability by ensuring built in reliability during equipment/instrument design and installation phase to confirm the performance.
- Improve reliability on equipment operating by coaching and promoting I/C equipment ownership, training operator on first line maintenance skill; I/C equipment operation/troubleshooting.
- Maintain equipment / instrument integrity and company reputation by complying with government regulations and meeting Pfizer corporate guidelines.
- Keep I/C equipment operational by coordinating case study, maintenance and repair services activities with vendor / contractor; following manufacturer's instructions and established procedures; requesting special services.
- Utilize I/C equipment maintenance database in EAMS (computerized maintenance management system) to meet the maintenance and production operational needs; analyzing the data and trend in EAMS for decision-making and PM planning and scheduling.
- Support Project team on special / urgent assigned projects to meet the requirement, schedule, budget target and as the interface contact person for engineering / maintenance resource.
- Provide technical support for equipment and process improvement initiatives using good engineering practices, simple & advanced problem-solving techniques
- Specification of industrial instrumentation to measure pressure, temperature, flow and density.
- Specification of valves and final control elements used in a chemical manufacturing environment.
- Design and development of loop sheets, equipment control wiring diagrams, and motor control circuitry.
- Automation Control Systems design, implementation and troubleshooting.
- Defining and selecting appropriate instrumentation and valve materials of construction for chemical compatibility.
- BS Mechanical/Electrical/Chemical Engineering or similar discipline with 15 years' experience.
- MS Mechanical/Electrical/Chemical Engineering or similar discipline with 10 years' experience.
- PhD with 5 years' experience.
- Strong knowledge of cGMP related/similar systems and practices is required.
- Relevant Computer skills
- Ability to work across functional areas such as operations, maintenance, and validation are required to provide appropriate support
- Allen-Bradley PLC and HMI experience
- Emerson DeltaV and OSI Pi product experience
- Familiar with automation networks, such as Ethernet, DH+, ControlNet, etc.
- Good communication skills, verbal and written, are required
- Possess strong leadership, organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with engineers and shop craft-persons.
- Ability to instruct craftsmen and provide on the job training.
- Project management skills
- Prioritizing multiple commitments and technical problem solving ability.
- Ability to shift priorities according to changes in departmental/facility needs and be open to different ideas/approaches.
- Be highly motivated, show initiative, and work well independently or in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively lead through influence and leadership skills in consensus and team building across functions and levels in the organization
- Knowledge of and ability to apply Process Safety Management elements, especially Change of Design and Quality Assurance / Mechanical Integrity
- Demonstrated skills in using a wide range of computer systems and software such as Microsoft Office Suite, reliability analysis software, and computerized maintenance management systems
- Demonstrated ability to analyze system failures using personal knowledge and internal and external resources.
Other Job Details:
- Last date to apply: 9/23/20
- Eligible for Relocation Package
- Eligible for Employee Referral Bonus
Pfizer reports payments and other transfers of value to health care providers as required by federal and state transparency laws and implementing regulations. These laws and regulations require Pfizer to provide government agencies with information such as a health care provider's name, address and the type of payments or other value received, generally for public disclosure. Subject to further legal review and statutory or regulatory clarification, which Pfizer intends to pursue, reimbursement of recruiting expenses for licensed physicians may constitute a reportable transfer of value under the federal transparency law commonly known as the Sunshine Act. Therefore, if you are a licensed physician who incurs recruiting expenses as a result of interviewing with Pfizer that we pay or reimburse, your name, address and the amount of payments made currently will be reported to the government. If you have questions regarding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact your Talent Acquisition representative.
EEO & Employment Eligibility
Pfizer is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status. Pfizer also complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act and IRCA. Pfizer is an E-Verify employer.