Director, Commercial Development
Those who join Emergent BioSolutions feel a sense of ownership about their future. You will excel in an environment characterized by respect, innovation and growth opportunities. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect life.
Responsible for development and executing the commercial and business strategy for the Drug Product business line (Baltimore - Camden, Rockville, Winnipeg, Hattiesburg) to meet the needs of the market / customers and Emergent BioSolutions, including creation of offerings. Determines our positioning, value proposition, offering, pricing strategy, and terms and conditions of our targeted portfolio. Support the sales and business development team in the acquisition of new business and existing business extensions by providing assistance in the evaluation and proposal process, customer visits and negotiations to secure short- and long-term business. Work in collaboration with the technical evaluations & proposals team, commercial analysis team and is responsible for tracking and prioritizing new inquiries and leading a cross functional team supporting the sales & business development efforts. Maintains full overview of demand profile (inquires to proposals to awards) of the portfolio for the short and long term and represents demand overview and commercial at the S&OP. Manages the P&L of the Drug Product business line through portfolio optimization using and providing market focused direction and assessment of present and future competitiveness of our offering and position. Be the market expert in Drug Product to the market and internal organization. Accountable for the relevant Drug Product business line performance (P&L) against budget in collaboration with finance and operations.
Through sales & business development, grow the sales and profitability of Drug Product business in line with the set targets yearly and over the planning horizon. Adjust sales and business development strategy as needed to meet targets.
- Manage the business acquisition process for introduction of new and existing products.
- Acts as day to day commercial and business escalation for Drug Product business line within CDMO BU, serves active role in governance of customer relationships and within site on respective SLT (s).
- Lead development and execution of the commercial and business strategy in Drug Product
- Create offerings and value proposition to meet the needs of small, mid and large pharma & biotech
- Manage commercial input for capital projects and ensure decisions are aligned to the market, business and portfolio management decisions.
- Develop plan for generating and qualifying leads with Marketing. Work with Sales & BD team to ensure follow up, provide sales and technical tools and assistance in the selling process.
- Identify and deliver new business opportunities to grow the business
- Set guidance for pricing and terms and conditions, and provide back up and oversight of the sales and business development team in issuing project proposals to customers negotiating contracts.
- Frequently visits accounts and proactively approaches new potential customers to acquire new project and products in support of Sales & BD.
- Market Visibility: Actively represents at trade shows and conferences, through membership in industry organizations and through appropriate dialog with the press.
- Represents commercial and business at S&OP and manage budget planning meetings
- Responsible for full demand overview of pipeline / portfolio funnel
- Provides weekly and monthly updates to management on the progress of sales and business development activities, the overall portfolio, issues and an outlook on sales and profitability for the current and future years
Education and Skills
- Education: BS in Life Science, Engineering and 5 years' experience in CDMO Commercial Development, Sales and/or Business Development. MBA preferred
- Demonstrates strong account management, project management, customer relationship skills, and communication skills
- Able to build strong and motivational relationships with sales & bd, marketing and operations teams and demonstrate positive attitude toward challenges
- Able to develop and implement strategic business plans and commercialization strategies
- Proven track record of bringing in new business and negotiating contracts.
- Experience in manufacturing or R&D a plus.
- Broad but substantial knowledge base in multiple business lines (Drug Product, Drug Product, Drug Product).
- Office environment; national and international travel required as part of the role
- There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
- This information is available upon request from the candidate.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, Protected Veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions' approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions' approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.