Research Associate I - Protein Purification
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to build a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine that has a track record of generating one new IND candidate per year. NGM’s current pipeline of clinical-stage programs consists of five drug candidates targeting liver and metabolic diseases, retinal diseases and cancer. The most advanced drug candidate, aldafermin (NGM282), is in Phase 2b clinical studies in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and is wholly-owned by NGM. Another drug candidate, NGM621, is in a Phase 2 study in geographic atrophy (GA) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD). NGM’s strategic collaboration with Merck, with a current term running to March 2022, provides us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
NGM Bio is excited to hire a Research Associate to join our Protein Purification team, to support development of protein-based therapeutics. Qualified candidates will have the opportunity to hone their protein purification skills in an R&D environment dedicated to deep research into human disease. This position is ideal for a recent College or Master’s graduate looking to apply their love of the bench towards biopharmaceutical disease research, in a collaborative, fun, and scientifically challenging team environment.
This role involves the following methods:
- Protein purification: Chromatography - FPLC, HPLC, gravity flow columns, size exclusion, anion exchange chromatography
- Protein characterization: UV protein quantification, SDS-PAGE, capillary electrophoresis (SDS, IEF), analytical chromatography, mass spectrometry, Western blotting, thermal denaturing analysis, protein formulation, enzyme assays
- Protein expression: tissue culture cells, bacteria, insect cell including culturing with sterile technique, transfection/induction, and harvest
- Protein chemistry: peptide conjugation, chemical coupling
- Instrumentation and control software: GE/Cytiva FPLC (Unicorn), Waters / Agilent, Hamilton, Biomek, robot operation and/or method programming
- Analysis of data: graphing (Excel, Prism, etc.), sequence analysis (online tools, software)
- Bioprocess: tissue or cellular disruption, fluid filtration (TFF or Crossflow), centrifugation, inclusion body preparation and protein refolding
Qualifications for this role:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biology, Chemical Engineering, or a closely related field of study
- Relevant and substantive laboratory experience with many of the techniques listed above
- A deep understanding of science related to biology including protein synthesis, secretion, and post-translational modification
- Comfortable using software for data collection and analysis
- Able to think analytically about data and present data clearly and compellingly to others
- Fluent with algebra and geometry to solve math problems to perform unit conversions, calculate molecular weights, prepare solutions from powders and by dilution of stock solutions, and RCF/RPM conversions for centrifuge operation
- Intrinsic love of learning: A person who can integrate hands-on training, technical reading, and conversation with other experienced researchers to hone their scientific skills
- Team-Orientation: somebody who finds personal gratification in team success, appreciates and acknowledges their teammate’s contributions, and aligns personal growth opportunities with team needs
- Flexibility: A person who plans well, and then recognizes and handles deviations from the plan just as well.
- Curiosity: a person who engages with their colleagues to learn about what they are doing and how their own role integrates within the team.
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, employee stock purchase program participation, 401(k) and a comprehensive, industry-leading, benefits package.
Interested applicants should click "Apply"
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Please do not forward any agency résumés. NGM Bio is not responsible for any fees related to résumés that are unsolicited.