Director, Translational Medicine (TM)
NGM Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company dedicated to discovering and developing the next generation of medicines for the treatment of serious diseases. Our experienced scientific team has joined forces with an impressive group of industry professionals, Nobel Laureates and other distinguished researchers to build a company where innovation and cutting-edge science has provided the foundation for a robust drug discovery engine that has a track record of generating one new IND candidate per year. NGM’s current pipeline of clinical-stage programs consists of five drug candidates targeting liver and metabolic diseases, retinal diseases and cancer. The most advanced drug candidate, aldafermin (NGM282), is in Phase 2b clinical studies in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH) and is wholly-owned by NGM. Another drug candidate, NGM621, is in a Phase 2 study in geographic atrophy (GA) secondary to age-related macular degeneration (AMD). NGM’s strategic collaboration with Merck, with a current term running to March 2022, provides us with the resources and flexibility to pursue our ambitious R&D goals and further extend our pipeline of novel drug candidates.
The Translational Science and Medicine group consists of Translational Medicine and Translational Science (TS) groups. The Director, TM, will be primarily responsible for developing and implementing research program translational plans that are aligned with TA disease and pathway strategies. The successful candidate will be responsible for shaping the strategic vision for research programs and creating / implementing experimental medicine studies. This role will closely partner with research and translational science to coordinate internal research activities, engage in external interactions with academic institutions having strong capabilities in translational studies and work with external scientific experts to develop comprehensive program plans. This work will include leading the scientific aspects of translational studies (e.g., Phase 0). In this role, the Director, TM, will decisively contribute to coordinating and accelerating the pipeline to target nomination.
The position reports into a Senior Vice President overseeing the Translational Medicine (TM) and Translational Science (TS) groups. Within TM, the Director will be responsible for creating and coordinating innovative translational plans for portfolio assets. TM will combine expertise in the clinical study of disease, disease pathways and in early clinical trial design.
Organizationally, Translational Science and Medicine serves as a pivotal bridge between Discovery Research and the Clinical Development of our portfolio. This group provides the necessary scientific and clinical expertise to advance an industry-leading pipeline of novel mechanism biologic agents to address unmet need across multiple disease areas (oncology, hepatology, metabolic disease, ophthalmology). This position will focus on integrating clinical and scientific expertise to NGM’s projects.
- Design and execution of translational strategies integrating both disease and pathway approaches.
- Collaborate with translational science on the development and implementation of clinical biomarker and patient segmentation strategies.
- Contribute to the design of early clinical trials (First in Human/Patient), including experimental medicine studies.
- Represent TM on early development teams.
- Identify and collaborate with academic translational sites to optimize the translational strategy and plans for programs.
- Responsible for presentation of results and updates of projects at department, project, corporate and scientific meetings.
- MD degree required and PhD or demonstrated research focus/accomplishment
- Minimum of 2 years of industry and/or translational research experience (with strong publication record) required.
- Subspecialty medical training in Oncology, Gastroenterology/Hepatology or Rheumatology is preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated supervisory and/or leadership experience with clinical and/or research teams is required
NGM offers a creative, collaborative, highly challenging scientific environment, along with a strong compensation package that includes salary, stock options, employee stock purchase program participation, 401(k) and a comprehensive, industry-leading, benefits package.
Interested applicants should click "Apply"