Vice President, Market Access
The Head of Market Access will be responsible for developing and leading overall market access strategy and execution to ensure optimal market access conditions throughout the life-cycle of Rigel’s products. This role will lead the market access team to ensure appropriate access and access solutions for patients and providers, including managed market/payer engagement, trade/specialty pharmacy, pricing and contracting, reimbursement call center/hub, patient support programs/services, and field-based reimbursement. In addition, this individual will also have responsibility for market access and reimbursement of future indications, formulations and new products.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead a high performance Market Access team to ensure appropriate access and access solutions for patients and providers.
- Develop and drive market access strategy for both commercial and government payers with the goal of shaping go-to market strategy and execution in an evolving external environment, taking into account both short-term needs and long-term scenarios, including value proposition(s).
- Create and maintain strategies and operational plans for specialty pharmacy distribution, call center/hub and reimbursement, patient assistance programs and support, related managed markets/payer strategies and tactics, as well as sales force training and corresponding pull-through methods.
- Partner effectively with sales, marketing, business operations and medical affairs teams to ensure strategic/operational alignment as well as development of data systems that will support optimal visibility of product demand and reimbursement metrics.
- Collaborate with development of innovative and value-based pricing strategies and anticipate potential pricing changes.
- Partner effectively with Rigel stakeholders (medical, clinical, commercial, etc.) to integrate market access insights into product development plans to ensure market access and product commercialization plans to maximize product potential.
- Support the development of advisory boards and related programs to determine current impressions of existing programs and efforts as well as anticipate and plan for future needs
- Develop compliant field-based reimbursement strategies and programs/initiatives, along with ability to educate healthcare providers about reimbursement landscape for Rigel products.
- Develop and maintain appropriate and compliant training materials to educate Rigel commercial teams for payer coverage, case management and payer landscape as well as resources to address such issues.
- Collaborate with patient advocacy and legal to represent Rigel in appropriately and compliantly working with 501c3 foundations
- Monitor the marketplace for market access issues, threats & opportunities, particularly for rare diseases, and manage/resource issue appropriately.
- Provide ongoing direction, oversight and management to the market access team, including expense budget and control, while monitoring on a regular basis to ensure activities are in accordance with corporate compliance policy/guidelines.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- A minimum of a B.A./B.S. required; MBA or other related advanced degree preferred
- A minimum of 15 years of combined market access/reimbursement including call center/hub, payer engagement, patient support management, and/or other relevant experience in the bio-pharmaceutical industry, such as sales, marketing, analytics, training, and operations.
- Experience with building and managing reimbursement hubs, patient assistance programs, co-pay assistance programs, as well as prior experience with independent 501c3 foundations.
- Previous experience in rare/orphan diseases, and/or hematology/oncology strongly desired, as well as with specialty pharmacy distribution.
- Experience and knowledge of CMS and Medicare Part D and Medicaid policies related to pharmaceuticals in various settings of care.
- Experience analyzing federal and state legislation and applicable regulatory government policy documents impacting coverage, reimbursement, government pricing, and government contracting issues related to rare/orphan disease and/or hematologic/oncologic pharmaceuticals.
- Demonstrated leadership focused on driving results, as well as successful track record of people management, experience leading teams, and strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Partner effectively with regulatory, legal, compliance in all aspects of operations including product label management.
- PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk; sit; talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Position may require occasional travel (e.g., business meetings, conferences, key customer engagement, market research, vendor meetings, etc.) approx. 20-30%
Rigel Pharmaceuticals, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by the law.