In Vivo Pharmacologist 2020-136
Mirati Therapeutics (NASDAQ: MRTX) is a San Diego-based clinical-stage biotechnology company dedicated to advancing novel therapeutics that extend the lives of patients by directly addressing the genetic and immunological drivers of cancer. Mirati is developing sitravatinib, designed to selectively target a spectrum of tyrosine kinases implicated in both tumor growth and the suppression of immune responses to tumors. Sitravatinib has demonstrated durable responses in lung cancer patients whose cancer has progressed despite treatment with checkpoint inhibitors - an area of significant unmet medical need. Sitravatinib is being evaluated in multiple clinical trials to treat patients who are refractory to prior immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy, including a potentially registration-enabling Phase 3 trial of sitravatinib in combination with a checkpoint inhibitor in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) that is currently enrolling patients.
Mirati is also developing novel direct inhibitors of KRAS mutations including MRTX849, a potent and selective inhibitor of KRAS G12C. This historically difficult to drug target is present in approximately 14% of NSCLC adenocarcinomas, 4% of colorectal cancer as well as smaller percentages of several other difficult-to-treat cancers. MRTX849 is being evaluated in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial as a treatment for patients with KRAS G12C-positive tumors. Our research on G12C has led to breakthroughs in targeting other KRAS mutations including G12D which drives tumor growth in more patients than G12C and includes pancreatic, colorectal and other types of cancer.
We are Mirati
Our mission is to discover, design, and deliver breakthrough therapies to transform the lives of cancer patients and their loved ones. We have built a culture fueled by accountability, urgency, collaboration and open-mindedness, and have established ourselves as an innovator within our industry. As we grow, we are looking to build diverse teams, with skilled individuals that are passionate about their work.
Why join us?
The In Vivo Pharmacologist will report to the in vivo Pharmacology Group Leader and will be primarily responsible for generating in vivo pre-clinical data, testing novel small molecule therapies and immunotherapies in clinically relevant mouse cancer models. The candidate will be responsible for supporting primary pharmacology and translational pharmacology programs. This involves identifying and characterizing novel cancer therapeutics using various cell line and genetically engineered in vivo models to determine optimal doses, routes of administration and dose schedules, to prioritize indications, identify biomarkers, elucidate mechanisms of resistance and identify efficacious combinations. Daily activities will include implanting, ear tagging, measuring and dosing (PO, IP, IV) of various mouse cancer models, tissue collection, drug formulation, in vitro and ex vivo support.
- Support drug discovery projects with relevant in vivo assays and generating primary data packages.
- Execute in vivo pharmacology studies in mice (tumor growth inhibition, pharmacodynamic, pharmacokinetic and novel model growth curves).
- Use gain-of-function (over expression) and loss-of-function (RNAi, CRISPR/Cas) approaches to study gene function in various in vivo models.
- Identify effective combinations with chemotherapies, targeted therapies or immune-modulatory agents.
- Identify clinically-tractable biomarkers that may guide patient selection or early-stage drug development.
- Maintain vivarium equipment, detailed laboratory files and an electronic notebook.
- Present in lab meetings to inform and discuss progress, results and future studies.
What is Required:
- Bachelor's degree in a science-related field with direct animal research or two year direct animal research experience with no degree required
- Experience in rodent handling and procedures especially in cancer pharmacology
- Experience in general laboratory techniques
- Highly organized with excellent communication skills
- Expertise in Microsoft Office Suite
Mirati's policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regards to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Notice to Third Party Agencies: Please note that Mirati Therapeutics Inc. does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies.