Associate Director & Scientist
A rapidly growing world-class contract research company with an innovative approach to drug discovery has become a leading provider of label-free assay solutions. This organization works with many of the top-10 large pharmaceutical companies, and biotechnology companies, and continues to expand its global client base.
The Scientist / Associate Director will lead/co-lead the cell-based assay team that will offer high-throughput cell-based drug discovery assays to our clients. The scientist will also lead the research and development of a proprietary high-throughput and label-free cell-based assay that reports on specific enzyme activities (offered exclusively at this organization) and will be instrumental in commercializing the assay for high-throughput screening and identification/characterization of drug candidates and reaction mechanisms for our clients.
The position reports to the Chief Scientific Officer (CSO).
• Expand a commercial tissue culture facility for mammalian cell culture and mentor a quality research team.
• Direct group activities by performing operations and administrative management duties such as budget planning for capital expenditures, labor, consumables, and additional scientific service offerings.
• Lead/co-lead efforts to develop and execute in vitro high-throughput cell-based assays that address clients’ needs for screening and mechanism of action studies
• Lead/co-lead internal technology development projects around novel cell-based assays
• Stay informed of the latest scientific and competitive developments and apply knowledge to projects.
• Review, analyze, and communicate results to clients and the organization.
• Contribute to building a culture that fosters scientific excellence, integrity with a sense of urgency and collaborative spirit.
Qualifications and Preferred Experience
• Ph.D. in biology, immunology, biochemistry, cell biology, or related field
• An outstanding cell-based assay focused publication record
• 3 year industry experience in cell-based assay development and screening
• Experience with automated liquid handling, enzyme kinetics, mass spectrometry, and highthroughput screening is preferred.
• Broad understanding of drug discovery
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Experience working with optical and radioactivity plate readers
• Ability to multitask and thrive in a fast-paced and challenging environment
• Strong computer skills and experience in generating graphical outputs of data is preferred.
• You demonstrate a track record of being strong interpersonally and with experience leading a group and overseeing interdisciplinary projects.
• Expertise in cell-biology and cell-based assays used in high throughput drug discovery such as ELISA, HTRF, BrdU incorporation, viability, apoptosis, target engagement, among others.
• Critical thinking to develop novel assays, design experiments, and interpret results independently
• Proven experience in generating cell lines, including over-expressing and knockout cell lines using CRISPR and/or other technologies
• Minimum 3 years of industry experience in small molecule drug discovery and developing and running high-throughput in vitro cellular assays.