Senior Scientist, Immuno-Neurology
At Alector, our mission is to develop therapies that empower the immune system to cure neurodegeneration. Our team is solely focused on developing cures for some of the most challenging diseases facing our society. We are supported in this mission by experienced and accomplished scientists and board members, leading healthcare investors and some of the most innovative pharma companies.
Use your hard-earned research skills to help us achieve our mission of saving lives.
As a Senior Scientist for the Immuno-Neurology team, you’ll work closely with other scientists in preclinical research and development, leading a target discovery project from the ground up. You will support other ongoing programs and your work will be central to Alector’s strategic goals. As an early hire, you’ll be influential in fostering and developing Alector’s culture.
During your first year, your goals will include:
- Independently leading a high-priority target discovery project from-end-to-end, from high-level design and planning to running experiments, assessing results and identifying the critical path forward to a fast go/no-go decision within a year of project start
- Being a partner to both academic collaborators and contract research organizations to ensure successful joint efforts
- Collaborating within and across teams, including mentoring others on your areas of expertise so that they can learn from your skills and experience
- Analyzing current scientific literature to help identify new targets or new strategies for existing targets
- PhD with at least 5 years of experience, including 2 or more years in industry research
- Extensive experience with tissue culture, including primary cells, and development of functional in vitro assays required
- Experience with at least three of the following assay types: Western Blotting, molecular biology, imaging, FACS, ELISA
- Experience using viral vectors for gene delivery in vitro, as well as in vivo is a plus
- up-to-date knowledge of the field of neurodegeneration
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
At Alector, we believe that high-performing teams include people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives and bring creative ideas to the table. We are committed to building an open, diverse, and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristics protected under applicable federal, state, or local laws.
Alector is a great place to learn and experiment. If you excel in a dynamic environment where everyone is committed to finding a cure, where you’ll drive growth, this is the role for you. There is no limit to how far you can go with us.
While we’ve focused on what to look forward to during the first year and beyond, Day One is great, too: committed and driven colleagues, a bold and important company goal, state-of-the-art brand-new brightly-lit offices in the heart of the biotech area, competitive compensation and benefits. But these matter only if you’re excited to build and own something great, and take on these challenges with us. Come join us.