Staff Reliability Engineer
Staff Reliability Engineer
Pacific Biosciences™ is seeking a Staff Reliability Engineer with a strong customer focus to support New Product Development as well as Sustaining activities for our SMRT™ sequencing technology and related platforms.
The ability to communicate with component Suppliers and out-sourced service providers both during and post-design, interact with development engineering and internal support teams, and communicate results to diverse audiences are important aspects of this role.
This individual will be working in a fast-paced development environment, interacting with scientists and engineers from a wide variety of backgrounds.
The position will be based in Menlo Park, California.
- Develop a detailed understanding of all technologies necessary to support our instruments [electrical, mechanical, optical, computer, software, chemical].
- Generate comprehensive FMEA packages for all aspects of new product designs. Included in this deliverable are formalized tracking of all test activities and maintenance of failure mode mitigation/retirement records.
- Gather internal as well as customer experience data to identify the highest impact failure modes and conditions which require improvements.
- Develop and Manage HALT as well as other Reliability test programs and methodologies
- Perform failure analysis on module-level as well as system-level problems in efforts to isolate root cause and work with Design teams to provide solutions.
- Work directly with component and module-level Suppliers as well as R&D subject matter experts to create predictive reliability models for module-level as well as System-level reliability predictions.
- Apply industry knowledge in providing guidance to cross-functional technical teams in efforts to improve instrument quality and reliability.
- In partnership with Quality Assurance, ensure the products are compliant to applicable Regulatory and Compliance standards.
- Define and use numerous tools and scripts to gather data necessary to make intelligent product design decisions.
- Post-product launch, represent the voice of the customer in all aspects of your job.
- In partnership with Quality Assurance, ensure the products remain compliant to applicable Regulatory and Compliance standards.
- Define and use numerous tools and scripts to gather field data necessary for updating demonstrated reliability figures; use this updated information to manage escalations as well as drive product change.
- Lead project teams in selection and management of escalations and redesign activities.
- Present team or department findings and metrics in various forums.
- Provide guidance to R&D on product reliability testing and analysis to demonstrate the product will achieve its reliability goals.
- Model the impact of the field issues on warranty cost.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- Minimum of a BS in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, or Biomedical Engineering, or related discipline. M.S. in a technical discipline a plus.
- 10+ years of experience in roles directly supporting product design, new product introduction, product quality and reliability, preferably in a systems company.
- Experience in Statistics (Weibull Analysis, MTBF, BellCore), Reliability Test (HALT, ALT, ORT) and System/Module/Component level FMEA development for Electrical/Mechanical/Optical sub-systems.
- Good understanding of development processes associated with complex Systems design.
- Excellent understanding of risk management principals.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent troubleshooting abilities.
- Demonstrates excellent documentation skills; exhibits thoroughness and attention to detail to ensure that job tasks are completed with a high level of quality.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with cross-functional team members.
- Strong time management, organizational and planning skills are essential.
- Experience in operating next-generation DNA sequencing instruments and assays a plus.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability, gender identity, and sexual orientation.