Senior Engineer, Technology I
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
BI Solution Lead will be a key member of the Analytics team which is part of the Business Technology Solutions (BTS) organization. We are looking for a Tableau expert and Business Intelligence (BI) generalist who will own and manage the life cycle of BI analytics solutions, including functional specification write-up, prototyping, development, quality testing, user acceptance testing, roll-out, and post-launch enhancements implementation. Candidate will work closely with various business functions including Commercial Operations, Sales Operations, Marketing, Medical Affairs to understand business needs on reporting, provide visualization recommendations, and deliver analytics solutions.
While Tableau is Pharmacyclics's enterprise platform for reporting, candidate must have technical knowledge of at least another industry leading BI platform including but not limited to Power BI, BusinessObjects, Qlik, Looker, MicroStrategy, etc. Candidate also has the hands-on ability to design engaging and interactive business insights dashboards and possess knowledge/experience on data visualization best practices, with a focus on enhancing user interaction and user experience.
- Manage a team of 5 contract BI developers and own the BI solutions development life cycle: assess business requirements, define technical specifications, diagnose gaps in data sources and/or ETL processes, identify the technologies for optimal solutioning, apply industry best practices such as DevOps to meet development deliverables, and establish sustainable operations models to support and automate post-launch maintenance.
- Work cross-functionally with various departments including business stakeholders and technical personnel to validate BI solution design and implementation feasibility.
- Act as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) on BI platforms, provide strategic recommendations on BI solutions scalability at functional and enterprise levels, and build proof of concept (POC) for future BI fits.
- Lead and execute BI development in both back-end data modeling (build ETL process to connect, extract, join data tables from enterprise data warehouse, design and build reporting layers, create and edit SQL queries within Tableau to build calculated fields, report authoring and troubleshooting, data source management) and front-end UI design (create interactive filters, parameters and calculations for preparing dashboards and worksheets in Tableau, design engaging and user-friendly visualizations).
- Collaborate with BTS Data/MDM team and QA team to test, clean, standardize, and automate data flows to meet the solution requirements.
- Apply User Experience (UX) design principles to data visualization; this includes providing guidance to other developers for knowledge sharing and training.
- Exhibit obsession with details (in both backend data and frontend user interface) and live in the mantra "The devils are in the details".
- 10+ years of experience designing and developing business intelligence dashboards using industry leading BI platforms including but not limited to Power BI, BusinessObjects, Qlik, Looker, MicroStrategy, of which at least 5 years using Tableau v10.x or greater desktop.
- 5+ years in User Interface/User Experience space required (can be concurrent or overlap with Tableau experience or other BI systems); demonstrable with evidence of using a combination of user interface tools such as wireframes, prototypes, mock-ups, or whiteboarding to illustrate product usability.
- Empirical understanding of data systems (BI/Analytics, Data Blending, Data Warehousing, Data ETL, etc.) on process automation and standardization.
- Experience working with large and complex data set; able to write SQL queries to create robust data architecture and perform feasibility analysis as part of functional specification requirement validation and testing.
- Strong time management and prioritization skills; able to manage multiple projects simultaneously at various stages of their development.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; able to interact with all levels of business stakeholders from analysts to executive leadership with confidence, clarity, and authority.
- BA or BS degree required
- Experience in commercial analytics such as field sales reporting, incentive compensation reporting, patient journey mapping, and/or channel performance tracking within bio-pharma industry preferred.
- Masters degree in data related fields (Analytics, Business Intelligence, Big Data, Statistics, Data Science) preferred.
Significant Work Activities
Continuous sitting for prolonged periods (more than 2 consecutive hours in an 8 hour day)
Job Level Code
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.