In-Vivo Science Associate II
AbbVie's mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people's lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women's health and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com . Follow @abbvie on Twitter , Facebook , Instagram , YouTube and LinkedIn .
Envision working with energetic colleagues and inspirational leaders. Now, place yourself in that mix; leading discussions, asking the right questions and driving results.
What Your New Manager Wants You To Know
The In-Vivo Science Associate II will perform standard veterinary technical support for the departmental program of veterinary care. This will include monitoring the health and welfare of all research animals, providing necessary treatment, preventative maintenance, care, enrichment and record keeping, and participation in the rodent health surveillance program. Help in the development of core veterinary technical skills to enhance in-house research studies. Work independently on weekends or holidays. Assist in the maintenance of the Program of Veterinary Care within the USDA, AAALAC and other governing agency guidelines and requirements. Assist research personnel in conduction of research animal's studies and assist in the education and training of other animal research staff members.
YOU ARE more than just a title, YOU ARE...
First class team player : collaborate across multiple disciplines to ensure compliance and ability to influence cross-functional teams and senior leadership.
- Conduct health observations of all laboratory animals located in the vivarium on a daily basis in addition to some weekends and holidays. Discusses health observations with the Attending Veterinarian and other members of the veterinary staff, correspond with the Principal Investigator and their research team, follows up on the decided treatment plan. Conduct and oversees clinical treatments, routine diagnostic procedures, and prophylactic treatment of the research animals. Complete the necessary documentation of activities as defined in the departmental guidelines, policies and SOP's, the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals (ILAR) and USDA laws.
- Maintain and manage individual health records for all dogs, and primates housed in the vivarium colony. Maintain records for quarantine for incoming animals and inspect newly arrived animals. Assist with all USDA, county and state mandatory documentation, vaccinations, TB tests, etc. Ensures that all vaccinations and other veterinary tests are carried out according to current veterinary standards, and done on an appropriate schedule. Assist with the management of the Rodent Health Surveillance Program.
- Provide veterinary technical core support to the R&D efforts, and participate in the development of unique services that will elevate the level of in-house expertise and quality of AbbVie's animal research efforts. Disseminate and maintain information (anesthetics, analgesics, and surgical procedures) to expedite and improve biological research protocols and give advice on laboratory animal related procedures. Oversee the laboratory animals, procedures, and quarters in surgery, the pre and post-operative areas as assigned. Assists AbbVie researchers in the conduction of their animal related studies.
- Manage the socialization/enrichment daily activities for the various species housed in the vivarium. Participate with the team that evaluates the effectiveness of the program and contribute to the continuing development of the program. Provide innovative approaches to improving animal welfare and methods to measure success.
- BS, BA and 3 years veterinary technical experience or AHT and 2-5 equivalent veterinary technical experience.
- Certification by AALAS at the LATG level desirable.
- Multi-species including non-human primates and experience in a regulated environment preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills are necessary for interaction with multiple levels of personnel.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- General familiarity with standard Office Computer Software.
In this role, we're looking for a leader who will :
- Act as an Owner
- Be Excellence Focused
- Act as an Influencer
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.