Antibody Discovery, Team Leader
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision - transforming patients' lives through science.In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease - and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry - each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Discovery Biotherapeutics team at Bristol Myers Squibb seeks to understand the structure and function of complex molecules such as antibodies and endogenous proteins in order to optimize their utility as therapeutic agents. We collaborate with biology and translational scientists imbedded in the Thematic Research Centers in order to prosecute Targets and Biological pathways with disease modifying potential. By using a blend of internal and external technologies and capabilities, we work to discover and deliver first-in-class as well as best-in-class molecules that warrant clinical evaluation for patient benefit.
We are looking for a highly motivated leader to lead the B-cell and NGS focused Antibody Discovery team within the Antibody Generation group. This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant impact within a department that is driving the biologics therapeutics pipelines in BMS. In this role, the scientist is expected to develop and utilize multiple technologies including Single B-cell Cloning, Display, and Next Generation Sequencing to generate, characterize, and deliver sequence diversified and high quality antibody lead candidates. The candidate will also be expected to closely collaborate with biology project leads to understand the target biology and progress BMS biologics portfolio.
- Lead a team of 4-5 employees within Antibody Generation
- Optimize the existing Single B Cell and NGS platforms towards a high performing, robust lead delivery platform with seamless connection to downstream groups. Collaborate with Automation to increase efficiency and match future demand
- Drive new technology innovation through set-up of B-cell Encapsulation and Display methods to capture further immune diversity
- Co-lead new biotherapeutics projects in close collaboration with a Biology project lead from idea to transfer into development
- Drive the science and contribute to the vision in the technology development space especially in single cell analytics and gene capture
- Excellent written and oral skills are necessary
- Accomplish goals under project team time lines
- Ph.D. in molecular biology or immunology with 6-8 years of industry experience or other relevant experience
- High proficiency in all critical molecular biology techniques with focus on high throughput, high sensitivity gene rescue from single cells or tissues
- Experience with antibody V gene capture and Display technologies such as Yeast display or phage display is required
- Experience with leading a team is required
- Proficiency in cell biology with FACS target-centric cell sorting or selection experience is a plus
- Ability to analyze NGS and combine with other datasets to inform hit selection
- In-depth knowledge of B/T cell biology and humoral and cell mediated immune responses
- Highly innovative and self-motivated
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary biologics discovery team
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.